Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Custom LS2 4-500hp Exhaust Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Custom LS2 4-500hp Exhaust Questions

Hello Everyone,

I am doing a custom exhaust system for my ls2 nissan 240sx drift car project and was wondering if you guys can help me get pointed in the right direction. First of all i am running 1 7/8 long tube heders with a 3 1/2 collector because i am shooting for 450-500 whp this year (maybe more in the future) and i dont want to do a h or x pipe since my car is already slammed to the ground as it is. what would be the best way of running a y pipe to a straight back exhaust? Keep in mind this is going to be a track only car. I was thinking of getting my B pressure welding buddie to help me out so the inside can stay as clean as possible and have a super strong weld since im not the greatest welder. My idea is to run a 3 1/2 y pipe to a 3" or 4" single and run that all the way back to almost the back where it splits to two dual 3 1/2 tips roughly 2 feet long. What are your guys suggestions? I want to have an exhaust that i can work with in the future if i want 500+ hp, but for now i am hoping to make 400-450ish and not sacrifice anything by making it breath too much. Mods this year are a True Cold Air Intake (located through my engine bay *infront of front wheel well*), Ported Intake, Fast 92mm TB, AC Delete, Solid 1 piece steel driveshaft, Best Custom Exhaust I can make, and Dyno Tune. Any information or tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 02-13-2012, 02:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

nd i dont want to do a h or x pipe since my car is already slammed to the ground as it is.
What about a crossover pipe, whether x or h, makes you think it's not going to work with a slammed car? Dual pipes of the same diameter hang just as low as dual pipes of the same diameter with an x pipe in it. The crossover pipe is not any bigger or does not create less ground clearance.

And if ground clearance is a main issue to you, then going with a big single pipe vs. dual smaller pipes is the wrong way to go. You are going to have less ground clearance with a big 4" pipe running down the underside of the car vs. dual 3" pipes.

If you have the room to squeeze in dual pipes, do that with a crossover and go 3" from the headers to the tips.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by redtan
if ground clearance is a main issue to you, then going with a big single pipe vs. dual smaller pipes is the wrong way to go.
I want to keep the stock location of where the exhaust goes through my aftermarket bumper on one side, thats mainly the reason, also little more $ for more material and location to run the other side where exhaust never ran stock is hard. I can tuck a 4" single up there easy by modding the mounts. Im just trying to see what I should do for a y pipe size from my collectors and single exhaust size going to my dual tips and size of dual tips while not giving up performance but still having room to grom in the future. Like aftermarket true duals are 2.5 or 3" on a f-body, gto, or corvett correct? 2.5" being under 500hp, 3" being over 500hp. I heard most guys do a 3" in and 2.5 out to the duals from a x or h pipe for under 500hp. Wouldnt that mean that it has as much surface area as if it had a Y pipe the same size as the collector going to a single 5" or 6" exhaust (depending on your hp) instead of it splitting to a true dual from an h or x pipe??
Old 02-13-2012, 04:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If you decide to go dual, go 3 all the way.

If you're sticking to a single, do 3.5" off the headers to a 4" pipe.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:28 PM
Teching In

So does everyone agree? 3.5" from the headers to a 4" to dual 4" 2 foot tip? This would be my best bet for more flow and not give up any numbers?

Quick Reply: Help! Custom LS2 4-500hp Exhaust Questions