Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Idea Opinion?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Talking Exhaust Idea Opinion?!

So I'm out and about shopping the wonderful world of exhausts and I have an idea

I was thinking of getting SLP Loudmouths 1 for a cat-back for a few months. After a few months I was thinking I could go True Duals.
(Since I am in an emissions state ((Utah)) I am going to be buying high-flow cats)

Out of opinion, would it sounds good to have True Duals with Loudmouth 1 resonators? I was hoping I could go: Headers > High Flow Cats > Resonators

The reason I'm asking, I know that the resonator sounds like **** w/o a cats.
Do you think this would be too much rasp and just save for something better?

Opinions Please!!!
Old 02-15-2012, 09:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never run this setup, but it's on my list to try as soon as I get sick of the vette look of my current exhaust... On my 4.8L silverado I ran TWO 12" case length bullet mufflers back to back single in single out 3" all the way. By far the best sounding exhaust I've ever had. True duals running this same setup on either side on an LS1 I think would sound just as amazing if not better because of the two sides pulsing somewhat separately depending on your chosen balance pipe (X or H) I think for this particular setup the X would give a better sound more like the Y in the silverado... or do it on the stock exhaust setup and run Single side exit and see what you think . (that was with the stock cats in place on the silverado I should mention)
Old 02-15-2012, 09:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't see cats knocking down enough sound to really matter with those LM1s. I would do LMII's which is what I have in my duals catless. It sounds good just a little on the loud side. If you plan true duals and just want some sound for now. Cut the muffler off if your on stock manifolds. It sounds pretty good honestly. If you've got headers now no way in hell I would I run longtubes with a LM1. Honestly the noise it makes is embarassing. I was ashamed of mine it was so obnoxious and raspy
Old 02-15-2012, 09:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the catted y and it sounds really good. Its no where near as loud with cats. Thats why im thinking of taking them off
Old 02-15-2012, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why bother with the loudmouth at all? Just get a full true dual exhaust from headers back. Also unless you are trying to make every ounce of HP... there really isnt anything that bad about a regular y-pipe setup.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RacingTiger03
I've never run this setup, but it's on my list to try as soon as I get sick of the vette look of my current exhaust... On my 4.8L silverado I ran TWO 12" case length bullet mufflers back to back single in single out 3" all the way. By far the best sounding exhaust I've ever had. True duals running this same setup on either side on an LS1 I think would sound just as amazing if not better because of the two sides pulsing somewhat separately depending on your chosen balance pipe (X or H) I think for this particular setup the X would give a better sound more like the Y in the silverado... or do it on the stock exhaust setup and run Single side exit and see what you think . (that was with the stock cats in place on the silverado I should mention)
Oooh! sounds pretty nice xD do you have a vid or a sound clip?

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
I don't see cats knocking down enough sound to really matter with those LM1s. I would do LMII's which is what I have in my duals catless. It sounds good just a little on the loud side. If you plan true duals and just want some sound for now. Cut the muffler off if your on stock manifolds. It sounds pretty good honestly. If you've got headers now no way in hell I would I run longtubes with a LM1. Honestly the noise it makes is embarassing. I was ashamed of mine it was so obnoxious and raspy
Ah, that bad huh? :/
Well, that actually does sound like a good idea. I know a guy that does exhaust so he could probably just cut the muffler/pipe it and I could get me some good lookin tips
Old 02-15-2012, 09:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
I have the catted y and it sounds really good. Its no where near as loud with cats. Thats why im thinking of taking them off
haha that'll be plenty loud! >

Originally Posted by udienow
Why bother with the loudmouth at all? Just get a full true dual exhaust from headers back. Also unless you are trying to make every ounce of HP... there really isnt anything that bad about a regular y-pipe setup.
I'm just looking for some extra noise and a little more hp, I'll probably just go with what VandykeT/A said for now. Much cheaper so I can save up for True Duals
Old 02-15-2012, 10:07 AM
10 Second Club

I've only got 300 bucks in my duals. All you need is a Xpipe, mufflers and about a foot of piping. They used the driver side piece of my Y pipe but you could just cut the Y where it joins, put the X there or H, 12" or less of piping, put the mufflers, and a homemade turn down. You'll have more in a catback than true duals dumped. Just use a good exhaust shop. If you plan on dumped Tips will be a dead investment unless you plan to make dummys which is what I'm doing on my T/A. Camaros look better tip less imo. I definately wouldn't buy a catback if you plan to go duals.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-l...-mufflers.html

There is a comparison at the bottom of that thread catted vs ory. That might help you out. I like both, some people dont :shrug:
Old 02-15-2012, 10:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool! I'll check that other thread out.
Yeah I would love to duals with about $300-400 put into it.

Anyone know if there will be any hp gains from this?
Old 02-15-2012, 01:39 PM
10 Second Club

Not sure about on a bolt on car but with my MS4 PRC 215 set up I picked up quite a bit of bottom end and midrange. I had a cutout on the y set up I was running and the duals greatly outperformed the cutout as far as low end power. On a dyno maybe 10 with h/c but I'll never go back to a catback. With bolt ons imo its just a sound mod.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

The duals won't net you a whole lot of peak but midrange will show a lot of gains. I know I picked up well over 20 rwtq on my old cam only setup going from a y pipe with flowmaster merge/GMMG to 3 inch duals
Old 02-15-2012, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
Not sure about on a bolt on car but with my MS4 PRC 215 set up I picked up quite a bit of bottom end and midrange. I had a cutout on the y set up I was running and the duals greatly outperformed the cutout as far as low end power. On a dyno maybe 10 with h/c but I'll never go back to a catback. With bolt ons imo its just a sound mod.
Well this guy hit it on the head with the last sentance. If you just want to be louder get a cutout... simple, cheap.