Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High idle and fluid throwing up on underside of the hood.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High idle and fluid throwing up on underside of the hood.

I have a 2001 Trans Am, 5.7, LS1. 121,000+ miles. 6-speed... And yeah, I am a girl that loves my muscle cars! Please help me out here, guys.. please?

Brief background, engine had to be swapped (by local Chevy dealer) at 90,000, because of how the starter is mounted on the aluminum block, those mounts broke… New LS1 installed.

Fast forward 18 months.. car started to have difficulty starting. Did a fuel pressure test.. and found fuel pressure wouldn’t hold.. changed the fuel pump. Started the car repeatedly in the garage without an issue. Drove it,, and then again had an issue of not starting, but could coax it into starting. Changed the fuel filter, cleaned the MAF.. again, sitting in the garage would start. Drive it and wouldn’t start, but could eventually get it to start. One night after work, would not start, had it towed to the Chevy dealership. Called them the next morning told them the problem… and they told me it started right up.. they took it into the shop.. and it would start.. I told them to take it out, drive it around and bring it back and wait 5 minutes and try.. well one time, they said it wouldn’t start, said that there was no fire… Thanks to this forum, I told them to look at the grounding strap since they had swapped the motor. After telling them that, it never did not start for them again.. Always started. They told me that they didn’t find anything so they didn’t charge me anything.. they had the car for 2 weeks.. it was ok. Because I had another car and my motorcycle to ride.

After I picked up the car, I had this issue that it momentarily had a high idle 12-14 grand when the car came to a stop. Dropped to 8-9 after about 4-5 seconds.. I figured that the dealer had unhooked and hooked stuff and the computer was trying to get back in sync. But it still continues.. AND I have found that is some kind of fluid throwing up under the hood, driver side back..
So I am looking to my forum friends for help on this deal.. Any suggestions from this forum? What can I look for? Anyone else experienced this.. or know what is wrong with my TA?

Last edited by Hex04; 02-18-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:56 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

First of all, try and check your IAC counts. I'm betting, since nothing else has been touched, your IAC is on it's way out the door.

Driver's rear.... Check the grommet on the back-top of the valve cover for the PCV line. It may have come loose. It just sticks in there.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will check it out, Doc... Thanks for giving me a starting place and a place to look... will let you know what I find!
Old 02-18-2012, 07:36 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

As an edit though, if the PCV line is loose or disconnected at the rear of the drivers valve cover, that would explain your high idle as well. Might knock them both out with one fix.

Best of luck
Old 02-18-2012, 10:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

high idle? vacuum leak? check the ENTIRE pcv hose.......it craps out in the back junction.....12 yr old rubber does that

Search this Thread