Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Flow Requirements for 102/102

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 10:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Air Flow Requirements for 102/102

With everyone on the quest for more horse power the search for more air to stuff in the cylinder is answered with a FAST 102/102. But your intake/TB selection is only as good as the parts before it ( MAF, Lid, Air Filter). Ok, so you decide to upgrade MAF's to a 100mm and even a FTP 104mm lid. My question is why is the air filter not considered into the horse power search equation? Granted most people have upgraded to a K&N filter by now but the serface area on the air filter is unchanged ( 11.7"x6.1"). The size of the air filter was designed around the factory 305HP stock LS1.

So why not increase the serface area of the air filter for an engine that is making almost double the factory HP?

I have seen guys swap to a 4" tube style intake lid with a larger air filter like the ones on some corvettes. That could be one option, but how much HP does this help?

I have a LT1 WS6 Ram Air box that I am considering on modifying from a 75mm opening to a 104mm because the LT1 WS6 air filter (17.5"X10.6") is much larger than a LS1 air filter( 11.7"X6.1").

Any thoughts on the potential conversion? Maybe there are some engineers out there that can calculate the air flow differences btwn the LT1 and LS1 air filters, as well as HP limitations.

Last edited by roadtrip120; 02-18-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LT1 WS6 box isn't a smooth transition and it draws air in from the top. Lid setups draw in from the bottom where there is more available air. The transition is smoother also. As far as the air filter I watched my friends car put down identical dyno numbers with no filter vs his k&n that was ridiculously dirty. I don't think an NA combo has to worry about the CFM of the air filter. The only time I've heard of issues are on boosted cars running too small of a filter.