Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP Air Box Lid Fitment Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP Air Box Lid Fitment Issues

It was on when I bought the car. It's not fitting right. I...believe that it is supposed to sit on top of the box with all the plastic lining up, not covering anything. But if it does (and using the smooth bellows) it doesn't seal at the back. In fact, it doesn't even come close to sealing. I can barely fit the tabs in the back of the air box. Also, when researching it online, I found out that apparently he had the 98-99 installed. What does the hose do for the 00-02 models?

Sigh.

How can I get it to fit better? Am I doing it wrong? Or should I just say screw it and buy something that does fit right? If that is the case, what DOES fit right?

Questions, questions, questions.

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Is the smooth bellow pushed all the way on the TB, and is the MAFS all the way in the bellow?
Old 02-26-2012, 08:38 PM

picture tells a thousand words
Old 02-26-2012, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Also is the MAFS all the way in the lid?
Old 02-26-2012, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Is the smooth bellow pushed all the way on the TB, and is the MAFS all the way in the bellow?
Yes. Is there something that would block off the back so that the air only flows through the filter? A filter with a thicker gasket or something. I've got a K&N on there at the moment, but I think it might have gotten oil on my MAF due to a misfire/ping/bucking in the 1500-2500 range at low throttle. It could be bad gas (it has been sitting for a month before I filled up with <1/8th of a tank left) though.

Originally Posted by LSWONDER3
picture tells a thousand words
Can't at the moment. Too dark. I'll try to remember to snap one in the morning.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'd ditch the K&N, clean the MAFS, and go buy a dry type air filter.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

I'd ditch the K&N, clean the MAFS, and go buy a dry type air filter.
I had actually already planned on doing this tomorrow. I've heard the Wix is good. But I don't think that'll help fitment issues. :/
Old 02-26-2012, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

So is the MAFS all the way in the Lid?
If it isn't you'll want to heat up the lid around the neck with a hair dryer until you can push the MAFS the rest of the way into the lid. Now if that doesn't fix the problem (it should) then you'll need to trim some length off the Smooth bellow.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is a common problem with the Slp lid. I had issues as well. Best fix I have seen is ditch the smooth bellows, and get a piece of insulation foam with the double sided tape on the back and fit it all the way around the air box flanges where the filter drops in and the lid sits.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

install it without the maff, and bellow, you smooth bellow is probally to long.
See how that fits, Looks at the front of it. Its not a strait edge, The inside fits back behind the lower box lip, and the clips should work normal. If there tight as ****, you have the lid on top of the lower lip, the filter will be loose too. I dont know alot about the K&N filter per say, but I see alot of thouse type filters that don;t fit right, there to short.

If the tabs barly fit too, it binding of the bellow. They fit in all the way, there a great fitting lid. DO the test fit without the bellow, and your see how it should fit.
Back the the way in the tabs, The middle of the front edge gose inside BEHIND the lower air box. not on TOP of it.

They years are the same Lid, its just one is if you have a air pump hookup, the other year comes with the plug for the hole on the side of it.

WRONG Look at the lower left

right

Last edited by studderin; 02-26-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

So is the MAFS all the way in the Lid?
If it isn't you'll want to heat up the lid around the neck with a hair dryer until you can push the MAFS the rest of the way into the lid. Now if that doesn't fix the problem (it should) then you'll need to trim some length off the Smooth bellow.
I'm...not entirely sure. I guess I'll try that in the morning.

Originally Posted by bww3588
This is a common problem with the Slp lid. I had issues as well. Best fix I have seen is ditch the smooth bellows, and get a piece of insulation foam with the double sided tape on the back and fit it all the way around the air box flanges where the filter drops in and the lid sits.
Insulation foam? ..what is that? Can you link that or something? Google is coming up with some sort of weird tape.

Originally Posted by studderin
install it without the maff, and bellow, you smooth bellow is probally to long.
See how that fits, Looks at the front of it. Its not a strait edge, The inside fits back behind the lower box. The outside corner line up then, and the clips should work normal. If there tight as ****, you have the lid on top of the lower lip, the filter will be loose too. I dont nkow alot about the K&N but I see alot of thouse type filters that don;t fit right, there to short.

If the tabs barly fit too, it binding of the bellow. They fit in all the way, there a great fitting lid. DO the test fit without the bellow, and your see how it should fit.
Back the the way in the tabs, The middle of the front edge gose inside BEHIND the lower air box. NOT on top of it.

They years are the same Lid, its just one is if you have a air pump hookup, the other year comes with the plug for the hole on the side of it.
Ok, thank you. I was trying to fit it flush rather then inside the air box on the front. I put it in without the filter and bellows and there was a smaller gap at the back. Not as big as the gap with the bellows, but still a gap. So I guess...I have to cut the bellows to get it to fit properly? Will this still allow it to clamp properly?
Old 02-26-2012, 09:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

if the bellow is keeping it for fitting back all the way, and it fits great when its out. then you have to trim it, just take 1/8 or 1/4 off and see how that helped.

If you cut to much it might not clamp. so dont cut a lot off at 1st.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Ok. I guess I'll just grab a file or something. It'll allow for a slower shave that I can sand to get the little bits off afterwords.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

thats gona take a while.

get a new razor blade, use the clamp to mark 1/4 off the end, slice it

Quick Reply: SLP Air Box Lid Fitment Issues