Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power drain what fuses?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 02:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power drain what fuses?

I have a power drain that is pretty bad and is killing my battery. I was wondering which fuses should still be hot when the car is off for a long time. Its a 99 C5 FRC.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

We did this with a friend's third gen camaro.....disconnect the battery cable and hook a test light up. Pull fuses individually until the light goes off. That'll give you the circuit. His ended up being an older headunit (retained accessory power) combined with not driving for a month at a time.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

ok I have a 99 corvette so things maybe a little different but I have several fuses that light up after the car has been sitting. Fuse #2, 3, 4, 7,23, 47-53. The last are all the big fuses. So what could be my problem? Any help? Oh and I just went out to try a few things and the car is beeping like the headlights are on or a door is open but everything is closed. I need some help with this as I drive this car daily. Thanks

Last edited by douwannarace; 03-01-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:38 AM
Staging Lane

I sill am stuck in the same position. If anyone can help figure out why all these fusees say on.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:01 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ncsu602 is right. take the key out of ignition, disconnect negative terminal, install test light in series. if it lights up then you have a draw on battery, if not then you don't have a draw and battery could be bad. anyway if you do have a draw on battery then pull each fuse one at a time until test light goes out. you dont really need to know what each fuse is for until you find the one causing the problem.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by douwannarace
ok I have a 99 corvette so things maybe a little different but I have several fuses that light up after the car has been sitting. Fuse #2, 3, 4, 7,23, 47-53. The last are all the big fuses. So what could be my problem? Any help? Oh and I just went out to try a few things and the car is beeping like the headlights are on or a door is open but everything is closed. I need some help with this as I drive this car daily. Thanks
some fuses are gonna have power with the ignition off..

that being said, however you decide to do your battery draw test, either with a test light, or a digitial multimeter and a shunt (which it should be done this way) youll need to wait about 15 minutes for all the modules to shut down, or go to sleep, then youll start pulling fuses one by one to see which circuit is pulling the battery down.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

ok I unhooked the battery cable and put my test light in between the circuit and it lit up. I am hoping this is right from what you have told me. The test light lit up kinda dim and I have the wires that run to my fuse box under the hood. There are three wires there. One runs straight to the battery. Another runs to the wirewall. When I touch the one that runs to the firewall does that mean my current draw is coming from the fuse box by the passengers feet? I been pulling fuses under there but I havent found a thing yet.

Oh and I put the two wires together the one from the postive battery cable and the one that runs to the firewall and my test light lights up again. So Im guessing Im heading the right direction. Is there anything that is common that can cause this problem as its hard for me to get way down where the fuse box is?

Last edited by douwannarace; 03-05-2012 at 01:34 PM. Reason: forgot something important
Old 03-05-2012, 07:45 PM
Launching!

this......

Old 03-05-2012, 07:45 PM
Launching!

dont make fun of my drawing...lol
Old 03-05-2012, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01M6TA
this......

lol nice
Old 03-06-2012, 05:16 PM
Staging Lane

that is what i did. Just like your drawing shows. I went out and bought a multimeter and it said 7.67. That seemed like a lot since the batttery is half dead. I touched the two posts of the battery and got like 7.68 almost the same thing. Ive pulled every fuse I could find and it never moves. One thing I did notice is that there is a wire running straight from the battery to the post on the fuse box under the hood. Its a straight red wire nothing in between the two. It seems like to me the whole car is on when the key is turned off. Is that even possible that the car isnt going into sleep mode or whatever? Oh and I have the multimeter on 20 dcv. So Im guessing the 7.67 is volts. Im going to charge the battery and still see if I get the same thing but at a higher voltage.

Last edited by douwannarace; 03-06-2012 at 05:35 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 03-07-2012, 03:24 PM
Launching!

has any kind of aftermarket wiring been done to car, i dont have a c5 so i dont know what you are talking about but if there are two fuse boxes, make sure you pull those too. or better yet if you have two red wires coming off battery, can you take one off at a time?

Quick Reply: Power drain what fuses?