Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 11:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Question Crank Pulley

So how do you guys put your crank pulley on with out having a longer crank bolt? I know you can rent a tool but is there any other way of doing it? suggestions would help great. What to get my car running so I can play witht hte new toys on the motor!!!
Old 03-06-2012, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

get a crank pulley install tool, this is the best way. you can rent them for free
Old 03-06-2012, 04:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here this might help.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/tools-fab...her-stuff.html
Old 03-06-2012, 06:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What about the oven trick? Someone told me you can put the pulley in the oven for a certain amount of time and temp to help expand the metal and itll go on easier. Im not sure however. I also don't know those numbers if it is possible.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not a good idea to use the balancer bolt to install the balancer.
The tool is the best way to go.
There is also a simple tool consisting of a bolt/large nut on ebay. I bought this & also bought a wheel bearing at AutoZone. The tool is applied per directions, and I added the wheel bearing to reduce friction, because my pulley was super-tight.
I didn't like the oven method (didn't work for me) because I have a fluid damper, and didn't know how heat might affect the balancer. Other people whose balancers are not as tight have had good results using the heat method.
Doing it all over, I would have opted for the tool shown in post #3.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

First time I nudged it on with tapping from the broadside of a sledge hammer (in a pendulum like motion from the top of the car). Not be the smartest way and I don't recommend it, but it worked.

Second time I tried the oven method, lubed with trans assembly grease, and lighter taps from a hammer got it on. Once it's on a good ways I use the old bolt to run it down with an impact then remove and install the new bolt and torque it down.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read that the ls7 bolt would do, cause its longer, not sure though.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

just buy the hawk tool. its a very very nice tool that is made right here in the USA by a skilled tool maker. i have used mine for 8 balancer installs now. love it and worth every penny
Old 03-09-2012, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Please do NOT hit it hard with a hammer. I had my pulley off twice and both times I used a soft hammer to gently tap it to get it started. Not the best way to do it, next time I'll definitely get the tool.

And if you pull it on with the bolt, make sure you have at least a few rotations into the threads before you put a good deal of torque on the bolt. The last thing you want it to put a ton of pressure on just a couple threads and strip out the crank.