Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rebuild a ls1 or go lq9??? suggestions please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rebuild a ls1 or go lq9??? suggestions please!

so i spun a rod bearing a while back in my ls1 and i was just wanting some input on what to do. i would like to get my car back on the road asap and cash is kinda tight so what would be best rebuilding the ls or picking up a lq9 and doing the swap. could i expect more hp out of the lq9 if i went that route? there isnt to many people in my area thatup to date with the ls engines so any input would be much appreciated.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if you want to get on the road fast, then drop the pan, find your bad bearing and throw a new one on there, then hope for the best. my brother did this when he spun a rod bearing and he got 40k+ miles out of the motor before getting a new car
Old 03-07-2012, 10:46 AM
11 Second Club

^^^lol i wouldnt try that
Old 03-07-2012, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

That is an extremely ghetto way to fix a major problem LOL. But hey, if it works then it works! I wouldnt do it to my motor though.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:15 PM

lol, i wish it was that easy. ive done got the engine and tranny out, cranks kinda scared up, im for sure going to have to have it turned to smooth it back out. thats why i was woundering if i should pay out the but for the machine shop and new gaskets, bearings etc.. or just buy a good lq9, swap my cam into it, hoist it back in and run the **** out of it.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

What kind of shape was it in before? How many miles?

Have your crank turned, find another rod and put it back together with oversize bearings.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:32 AM

it has somewhere around 65k on it. all seems to be in good shape though, ive rebuilt it once because i broke a piece of the piston between the compression rings somehow so i put everything fresh back in while it was apart. but turning the crank is more than likely the route ill go im just kind of skeptical because the local machine shop has never really had any experience with an ls. any advice on what the best bearings are to use and also is arp head studs and main studs worth investing in? overall i just want to build a good daily driver but one that will take as much abuse as possible.lol
Old 03-08-2012, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

You could probably find a used LS crank in good shape for what they are gonna charge you to turn one.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a nice build and asap might not work together...even if you are on budget id still do it slowly and take all my time. you really dont want to drop the engine twice or re install a major part twice, which ever your choice is. to answer your question; it really comes down to the money. stock ls1 for stock lq9 isnt really worth it specially on a tight budget. you can simply rebuild yours with a cam upgrade and thats it. good luck!

Quick Reply: rebuild a ls1 or go lq9??? suggestions please!