Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

egr and mpg

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default egr and mpg

Please shed some light on this..... I am wanting to remove the egr (ugly bish), but I read on here that you will lose some mpg because of removal. How can this be??? The Z is really my DD and I really do not want to lose mpg. 21.5 city is friggin awesome compared to my Lightning's 12-13.

Input on this please.... Already have it turned off in my tune also.... shouldn't I see a drop if it is turned off?????

Later
Old 03-13-2012, 11:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Within the exhaust gases are unspent hydrocarbons. Recycling them through the EGR system would contribute to a more complete burning of the hydrocarbons, and thus more power, contributing to more mileage.

I'm not sure about this part, but I believe that if you 'remove' the EGR from your computer, that you're only removing the the computer's ability to monitor the system, but you're not disabling the EGR and keeping it from performing its' job. On the other hand, there may be a solenoid in the system that must be controlled by the computer. As I said...not sure.
I removed all of the EGR and AIR stuff.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

pulled AIR out last week and now I am at a holding pattern with the EGR...... Thanks for your insight on this. Might just keep it on there if it is going to hurt my mpg. I think you are right about the tune also....... Probably just removed the ECU's ability to monitor the system.

Thanks
Old 03-14-2012, 07:20 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gMAG
Within the exhaust gases are unspent hydrocarbons. Recycling them through the EGR system would contribute to a more complete burning of the hydrocarbons, and thus more power, contributing to more mileage.

I'm not sure about this part, but I believe that if you 'remove' the EGR from your computer, that you're only removing the the computer's ability to monitor the system, but you're not disabling the EGR and keeping it from performing its' job. On the other hand, there may be a solenoid in the system that must be controlled by the computer. As I said...not sure.
I removed all of the EGR and AIR stuff.

In the tune you should be able to turn EGR completely off. There is an "enable temp" setting, and above that temp EGR is enabled. You can set it to 285 or something insane so the EGR will never turn on. That disables the EGR solenoid.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive heard the same thing before..not sure how true is that or what kind of mpg will be lost...i bought the LS6 intake so the removal was a must..i was going to remove it even if i could fap something up tho..dont need it where i live and i did not loose any mpg i did not calculate accurately but am still making the same trips with same amount of gas but again am on LTs and ORY.. may be some could chime.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

maybe it is turned off then... If so.... MPGs are the same before and after
Old 03-14-2012, 03:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just unplug it and see if you get a CEL after a few cold starts.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by disc0monkey
just unplug it and see if you get a CEL after a few cold starts.
It is tuned not to throw a light.... does not mean it is tuned off. Guess I gotta call my tuner.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Guess I need to yank it out and see how the mpgs fair.......

Quick Reply: egr and mpg