Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing exhaust manifold gasket

Old 03-15-2012, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Changing exhaust manifold gasket

I have a bad exhaust leak from the drivers side any tips on how to change the exhaust manifold gasket I tried to tighten up all the the bolts first there were all tight.My car has qtp long tubes headers I reused the stock gaskets which are 13 yrs old and now I brought new oem gaskets .
Old 03-15-2012, 02:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

scream about your happiness that its the drivers side.... yank off the spark plug boots, and get to work with a 10mm ratchet with an adjustable head or a tiny ratchet and 10mm socket. use a deep well with no extensions and you should be able to get to all of the bolts pretty easily.. (it's a long process but not too terribly bad). Once the bolts are out swap the gaskets line everything back up and put it all back together in reverse
Old 03-15-2012, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two temporary studs with a notch cut in them to remove later. screw them into the head, hang the gasket on then push the headers back over the studs. Use your regular bolts to lightly hold the header on then using a flat screw driver back out the studs.
This makes it alot easier then trying to hold the gasket in place while threading in the bolts.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks

Search this Thread