Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which cat for me ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 04:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which cat for me ??

Hey folks,

I posted this is general maintenance, but didn't get much of a response, maybe someone can chime in here.

I have a SLP high flow cats on the car right now, but my passenger side cat has failed. It rattles to no end, sounds like marbles are jumping around in there and is only noticeable at idle, which is annoying and embarrasing at traffic lights.

Anyways, I was wondering what type of common universal replacement cats I should go with. I've read that Magnaflow makes a decent cat. But I don't know he part number for a universal 2.5" diameter cat? At least I think it's a 2.5" diameter pipe from the SLP header collector and SLP catted Y? Unfortunately I can't check the car ATM, as its in storage, but if someone knows then I can order a cat asap.

I know cats are expensive, but without breaking the bank are there other good options out there and if you could please provide the part number that would be appreciated! Also, might seem odd, but could I keep my driver side SLP cat and just replace the passenger with another brand? Will I have any drive-ability or noticeable exhaust tone change? I don't want to fix both unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks guys
Old 03-22-2012, 05:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used thunder bolt and magna spun in the past and they were fine.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out performancecurve.com ive purchased my cats from them. Work great and cheap.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Edit.....just re-read the above post. Mine came from the same place, only from their ebay store. I've bought from them twice and had a great experience both times.

Just got the car off the stands tonight, I put Thunderbolt metallics on it. I put thunderbolt ceramics on it first and hated them, so I gutted them and ran em a while. I got tired of the smell. The metallics are much better, no power loss and maybe 10% sound difference from an ory. I'm pleased! They are the universal spun metallic 2.5", I think they were $80 shipped a piece. It won't hurt a thing to only replace one, but the other may be next.

Last edited by ncsu602; 03-22-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

can you get away with gutting them? did you find out why it failed?