Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got a ? for those with bbk lt/ory

Old 03-22-2012, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Default got a ? for those with bbk lt/ory

I noticed the end of the y pipe is the same diameter as my magnaflow catback (3 inches). The I pipe fit perfect into the original y pipe but wont fit in the bbk. Did you guys just get a band clamp or have it custom fit?
Old 03-22-2012, 08:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A band clamp worked perfect on mine.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

I used a band clamp as well, I'll eventually weld a electric cutout there.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Take the I-pipe to a local exhaust shop and have them slightly expand the end so it'll slip over the y-pipe exit.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the same setup, magnaflo cat back to the BBK ory. I was a little short, they didn't quite meet? There was about a 3/8" gap between them. The V Band I used was 3/4" wide so i had to trim a little off the intermediate pipe. I bought a 3" Vband clamp and welded the flanges on each end. It makes it very easy to take my exhaust apart there now. I did have to expand the magnaflow pipe a little to fit tight inside the v band coupling flange. The intermediate magnaflo pipe is designed to fit over the 2.75 inch stock exhaust, so it is a 2.75" id. It needs to be expanded to a 3" OD, which is about 3/16 of an inch. I did it myself using a pair of steel dollies and a hammer. I do alot of ody work, and am good at dinging metal. It is already slit in 4 places, these allow it to expand easily. After I expanded it, I TiG welded the slits closed, using a copper spoon behind the slits, while welding the flange for the band on. After the welding, I blended the welds with a flap wheel, you can hardly see it was welded.

I'm really glad I did this because I pull the exhaust off my car about once a month it seems, working on somthing. I love the way Vbands don't leak!! Cost me a total of about 50 bucks, 45 for the clamp, and about 5 for stainless welding rod, and trimix welding gas .
Old 03-23-2012, 07:48 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

For those of you considering taking a stainless pipe to the exhaust shot to get it expanded.... Good luck. Been there, done that, got the T shirt, wore it out, and now it's a shop rag.

Scotty's hit the nail on the head with the slits. If you don't have slits, it WILL split, violently, and it's the kind you can't control.

When I made a true 3" exit on my TSP Y pipe, my inlet for my Loud Mouth (now MagnaMouth) was too small, as it was made to fit over the exit of the stock Y pipe(2.75)

I bought an expanded coupling from Columbia River Mandrel Bends (304 Stainless) http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog...sion-1621.html to wled on the end of my I-Pipe to slip over the 3" exit I made.

Here's a pic of mine I put on the end of my MagnaMouth to make it a 3" slip connection

Just get the coupling, measure, cut, and take it to an exhaust shop and get it welded.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by dr_whigham; 03-24-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks dr_whigham that looks really good. What size band clamp did most of you guys use 3" butt or lap joint?
Old 03-23-2012, 07:56 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I found that the 3" butt clamp (no-step) seals better. I only have 8 of them on my set up, lol.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:34 PM
Teching In

Ill never ever buy bbk product again after all the damn trouble with their headers y pipe fitting like ****, half in shy, who ever put this together needs to be fired and the company makes **** i got these headers havent even drove still up on jack stands come out the next day and already have rust showing inbetween the pipes, it states to use your org clamps well you cant when you have a after market cat back bc the damn pipe is the same dia as it. Customer service is a joke. That was a good waste of 360$
Old 07-04-2013, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluepitbull
Ill never ever buy bbk product again after all the damn trouble with their headers y pipe fitting like ****, half in shy, who ever put this together needs to be fired and the company makes **** i got these headers havent even drove still up on jack stands come out the next day and already have rust showing inbetween the pipes, it states to use your org clamps well you cant when you have a after market cat back bc the damn pipe is the same dia as it. Customer service is a joke. That was a good waste of 360$
FYI, rule of thumb, always test fit your exhaust system.

IMO, if you think the bbk has bad fitment, then you're in for a rude awakening.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:07 PM
Teching In

Default .

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
FYI, rule of thumb, always test fit your exhaust system.

IMO, if you think the bbk has bad fitment, then you're in for a rude awakening.
You think not my first rodeo, but when i cant torque my transmission cross member its a issue. Just goes to show not to buy cheap made ****. Have to stick with kooks or some other company.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:51 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 193 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluepitbull
Ill never ever buy bbk product again after all the damn trouble with their headers y pipe fitting like ...
You resurrected this old thread just to start a bitchfest? There have been COUNTLESS posts by guys who've been super-pleased with their BBK's.

Last edited by RevGTO; 07-06-2013 at 01:00 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: got a ? for those with bbk lt/ory