Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinkin bout getting some pacesetters

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 07:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinkin bout getting some pacesetters

Just as the title states, thinkin bout getting some pacesetters, to replace my flowtechs. I'm pretty sure that the drivers side flange is warped, because in 10k miles, I have had to reseal the drivers side 3 times. It keeps leaking in the same exact spot, too.

I have heard alot of good input about the pacesetters...any fit issues? I was thinking about going with the 1 3/4 coated ones. Do they come with collector flanges? Are the manifold gaskets that come with them any good? Does anybody know where the cheapest site online is to buy pacesetter coated headers? (If the site is not a ls1tech sponsor, PLEASE pm me!)
Old 03-25-2012, 08:50 AM
TECH Resident

I love my pacesetters. Never had a problem in 40k miles except blew a gasket then I replaced them with the metal style gaskets and all has been good since
Old 03-25-2012, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98blueSS420
Just as the title states, thinkin bout getting some pacesetters, to replace my flowtechs. I'm pretty sure that the drivers side flange is warped, because in 10k miles, I have had to reseal the drivers side 3 times. It keeps leaking in the same exact spot, too.

I have heard alot of good input about the pacesetters...any fit issues? I was thinking about going with the 1 3/4 coated ones. Do they come with collector flanges? Are the manifold gaskets that come with them any good? Does anybody know where the cheapest site online is to buy pacesetter coated headers? (If the site is not a ls1tech sponsor, PLEASE pm me!)
I've had mine for two yars nad no issues other than a couple little specs of surface rust. Fitment is GREAT. Both sides went in with no problems.

Do NOT put the Pacestter factory gaskets in with them!! They blow. Literally. Mine were shot in six different places in a few months. Get Some GM MLS (Multi layered steel) gaskets. Most sellers off them with the headers.

Texas Speed has great prices and is a pleasure to deal with.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by skopers3
I've had mine for two yars nad no issues other than a couple little specs of surface rust. Fitment is GREAT. Both sides went in with no problems.

Do NOT put the Pacestter factory gaskets in with them!! They blow. Literally. Mine were shot in six different places in a few months. Get Some GM MLS (Multi layered steel) gaskets. Most sellers off them with the headers.

Texas Speed has great prices and is a pleasure to deal with.

That's why I was asking about the exhaust manifold gaskets. I am tired of changing exhaust manifold gaskets, although I am becoming a pro at it. Did you install your headers yourself? If so, how long did it take you? I have heard wonderful things about Texas Speed, I may end up using them. I appreciate your input!
Old 03-25-2012, 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

i am selling mine if you are interested lol
Old 03-25-2012, 09:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mikh338
i am selling mine if you are interested lol
No thanks, I wanna get a brand new set.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

I bought mine from summit last year because i think they were on sale. I had originally gotten Hookers and no matter what they would not fit! I even grinded a huge chunk out of my passenger side k-member and they would not line up! It was a 2 week long nightmare with my car stuck in the garage. The pacesetters went right up on the passenger side and the driver side went right up after grinding down the engine tab a little and removing the steering linkage. Just get the GM gaskets and get the TSP Catted y. It will have better throttle response, no rasp, and sound deeper and you will only lose maybe 5 top end horsepower you won't miss.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:06 AM
Staging Lane

I have pacesetter long tubes on my 99 T/A with the provided gaskets. It's been about two years since I installed them. No problems so far, although now I'm worried about those gaskets lol.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That's why I was asking about the exhaust manifold gaskets. I am tired of changing exhaust manifold gaskets, although I am becoming a pro at it. Did you install your headers yourself? If so, how long did it take you? I have heard wonderful things about Texas Speed, I may end up using them. I appreciate your input!
I did them myself in my garage. Total, it took probably eight hours over a couple days, though I do n't daily drive the car so I took my time with it. Definitely doable yourself.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:51 AM
11 Second Club

I got mine with the TSP ORY for $500. They are ceramic coated and are still in great shape after almost 5 months. The fitment is great and they are definitely the best budget header imo. I think it took my brother and I around 4-5 hours to install.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

had mine for about three or four years now, some rust as the paint it comes with burns off the first couple times you drive it. sound good and are cheap power, also got mine from Texas Speed. definitely do NOT use the gaskets that come with them, if they get wet they blow and sound like a locomotive puffing. +1 for the tsp Y as well, no cat with magnaflow, though back then it came in five pieces...
Old 03-27-2012, 08:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

When I had those pacesetters they were good. Only think I had to do was sawzal the engine tab on the drivers side so it would go in. I guess thats not common on these headers though.
I got mine from tsp. Got the header and ory package. Thats probably the best place to get it. I think the whole thing was under 500 shipped but it was just the black painted ones. Oh and do not use the gaskets they are garbage. Dont even use the header bolts.

I have pics of the setup and where I had to cut with a sawzal if interested.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I would just re use your stock bolts and gaskets. Iv done it before no problem.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

Just buy a used set in great shape. After you get them brand new and throw them on your car they are now worth the same amount as a used set. Spend the difference on other mods.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had my uncoated Pacesetters for 6 years and over 100k miles. There were no fitment issues whatsoever. I used the factory manifold bolts and OEM MLS gaskets.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don"t have Pacesetters, but I just wanted to give a +1 on reusing the stock gaskets and bolts. Oh yeah, make sure to go ahead and do motor mounts. I went with the black prothane brand. I swear everytime I see a thread about Y- pipe banging I am so glad I went ahead and did them. Also, I had to extend my drivers side O2 sensor. Used the wires BBK sent me and haven"t had any issues. I just extended the sensor itself. Passed on extending the actual harness.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice headers!!! get GM gaskets though, they're $20.99 each http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-12617944/
Old 03-28-2012, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

My pacesetters went in easy without any fuss, very easy install. Mine were hitting the engine tab on the way in also. I found that if I unbolted the tranny mount and jacked the transmission up it gave me a lot more room to slide the headers in place without having to grind or cut anything.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

well worth them and yes just re-use the stock bolts and gasket and i undid the motor mount and lifted the engine about a inch or 2 and they bolted right up no cutting.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:09 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pacesetters are a great header for the money