Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on best option: truck manifolds are too big on 5.3 LS

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Opinions on best option: truck manifolds are too big on 5.3 LS

Hello,

I'm sorry if this has been discussed to death. It seems most of the posts I look up are about performance but our goal is a little different. I don't have anything at all against some easy, extra horse power but my main concern is longevity and reliability.

I'm installing a 5.3 LS from a '03 Silverado in my 1937 Chevrolet 4 door. As you can see in the picture the exhaust manifolds aren't going to fit. I'm wondering what is the most reasonable option. This is going to be a daily driver for my wife and we're not looking to win any races, just carry our family around. I have read that these years motors had very good manifolds and that shorty headers wouldn't be any better than stock manifolds, but I'm not sure if stock manifolds would clear in this situation. I usually work on old stock motors and I'm not sure about the reliability of new headers. We intend to drive this car for the rest of our lives and are looking for the most reliable option. I'm not sure about all the available stock options.

If you'd like to see my build thread it can be seen here:
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ge=1&reverse=1

Thank you,
Old 04-02-2012, 04:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Look into Corvette manifolds. Mainly the ls2 manifolds, they have a center exit closer to the block. If your looking for more curb appeal, I think Doug's makes a block hugger header that would look killer on the 37.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok. Thanks for the reply, I'll check into those.

Brandon
Old 04-02-2012, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are a bazillion companies that make block hugger headers, or "clipster" headers for putting these into street rods. As long as you get a ceramic coated set, they should last you pretty much forever on a car like that, its not like your going to drive it in the snow or such is it? I'd try to keep with one with a 3/8" thick flange, and not buy "Ebay headers". Installing headers in this instance is for a fitment issue, not really for performance, but it wont hurt.

That looks like a Chasis Engineering bolt in Mustang 2 front end in front of it? They may be able to recommend some headers that work well. I'd list some of the guys that could help you out here, but since this is not a streetrod forum, none of them are sponsors. If your an NHRA or good guys member, you could go through your monthly magazine, Street Sceene or such, and see some of the street rod suppliers in there. There are dealers that carry several headers from different manufacturers, who could recommend the one that would fit best for your specific application. What you are trying to do is extremely common, the 37-39 chevs to LS motors are being swapped every day. I read in one of my street rod magazines that it has even surpassed the popularity of a swap to a gen 1 SBC now. I'm a street rodder first and an F body owner 2ndly. I actually bought my Camaro as a donor car for a street rod project, then decided to fix it up and drive it.

Don't buy the first set you find that somone says will fit, you should have some options, and can shop value and price. If your still stuck PM me and I'll give you a couple contacts that I have used.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed a 5.3 in a mid 70 truck had the same problem I used 2000-2002 f body manifolds and they solved the problem
Old 05-06-2012, 02:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thought I'd post an update here in case anyone reads this in the future.

I borrowed a set of GTO manifolds today and they don't fit either. Not even close. They actually contact the side of the framerail with the side of the pipes.

Brandon

Quick Reply: Opinions on best option: truck manifolds are too big on 5.3 LS