Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Duals, LM1, 224 Cam, Headers, California... Bad Combo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default True Duals, LM1, 224 Cam, Headers, California... Bad Combo?

So I pretty much summed it up in the title but right now I have an SLP Dual/Dual that came with my 00 SS... It has the ring of silence as well or whatever people call it. Anyways it's pretty damn quite if you ask me but I'm about to be putting on my FLP LT's, 224R Comp Cam on 112LSA, and I have a LM1 laying around. So here's kinda what I wanted to do:
FLP 1 3/4" LT's
FLP ORY
Into the LM1 then split it back into 2 and exit before the rear tire on both sides, 3" all the way.

My exhaust guy, said I should just have him cut the Y-Pipe into 2, Run 2 SLP LM1's, no H or X Pipe, and run them independently of the other to right before the rear tire. 3" all the way.

^^Option 2 would mean I have to buy another LM1, not really a big deal but something to consider. Also, I'm going to be putting on my 224R Cam pretty soon and am thinking this just might be stupid loud for California. However I am in Northern California with which I can tell is much less strict then down in Socal where I just moved from. Should I do it? or ditch the LM1 and go with a different set up? I want it loud but I heard true dual LM1's w/ headers/ cam is just obnoxious and waiting to get a Ref ticket.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have long tubes + ory + lm1 and its very easy to keep quiet. After about 2500 it starts to get loud. Its not for everyone though. It sounds like an animal and makes crazy sounds somtimes. I love it.

Last edited by MikeWS6; 04-03-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
I have long tubes + ory + lm1 and its very easy to keep quiet. After about 2500 it starts to get loud. Its not for everyone though. It sounds like an animal and makes crazy sounds somtimes. I love it.
Agreed! RapTR is going in my car soon so it should be good and loud at all RPMS ha..
Old 04-04-2012, 09:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

LM1 are just a big resonator, with heads/cam it will be pretty damn loud and obnoxious.

Anything and California is a bad combo but that one might not fly at all there. Just asking for trouble IMO.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I got a LM1 and im looking to find a true dual combo to quite it down
Old 04-04-2012, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by camarodude87
I got a LM1 and im looking to find a true dual combo to quite it down
Depending on muffler choice (let's assume a bullet style), it is not so much that duals will be quieter than an LMI, it is that the tone is so vastly improved that it is not annoying. The rasp inherent in the vast majority of LT/ORY/LMI cars sounds like trash. I know, I have owned both. My duals just have such a superior tone that they actually draw less attention. The rasp of the LMI makes people look at you becasue it sounds like total ****.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

When you're referring to LM1 systems vs. true duals are you talking about a Y-pipe w/ a LM1 in the stock muffler location or I-pipe then back out to dual tips? My true dual set up above would mean that from each header, each exhaust would have its own LM1 and would run independently of each other without an H or X pipe.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by B0dyDr0pp3d
When you're referring to LM1 systems vs. true duals are you talking about a Y-pipe w/ a LM1 in the stock muffler location or I-pipe then back out to dual tips? My true dual set up above would mean that from each header, each exhaust would have its own LM1 and would run independently of each other without an H or X pipe.
Y-pipe LMI's sound bad in a stock style configuration with ORY. The merge will smooth the sound in a dual setup, and make a little (not noticeable) power.

Originally Posted by B0dyDr0pp3d
Into the LM1 then split it back into 2 and exit before the rear tire on both sides, 3" all the way.
This is not really functional. The LMI muffler sits so far back you second pipe will almost be running straight across the car. Kind of a waste.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
LM1 are just a big resonator, with heads/cam it will be pretty damn loud and obnoxious.

Anything and California is a bad combo but that one might not fly at all there. Just asking for trouble IMO.
I dont think mine would be that much louder with h / c. Maybe at idle but at wot I dont think its possible for it to be any louder.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You're going to want some good mufflers, if you don't run cats. Id at least remove the LM1 resonator and put a Magnaflow #12867 in it's place. Iv'e got a Borla in the I-pipe and a magnaflow oval out back and it's still loud, but it just a deep rumble that's not irritating at all.
IMO, you might want to try it out first with the SLP Dual/Dual (with the silencer ring removed) since it will be louder with the cam, headers, and no-cats

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 04-04-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
You're going to want some good mufflers, if you don't run cats. Id at least remove the LM1 resonator and put a Magnaflow #12867 in it's place. Iv;e got a Borla in the I-pipe and a magnaflow oval out back and it's still loud, but it just a deep rumble that's not irritating at all.
Ok this brings me to my other idea then. Should I just run the LT's, (catted) Y-pipe, and then into a LM1 and into my SLP Dual/Dual out back and just add the LM1 in the I-pipe? And I'd probably switch out my Dual/Dual tips just cause I'm over them.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd only put the LM1 resonator back in the I-pipe, if it's not loud enough.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

If you've got money to burn then do you what you want or what you think will sound best. If not then just roll with what works. I have a frankenstein LM1 system with a Borla S muffler after the I-pipe, and got rid of the SLP bullet junk after the cat. That thing necks down to like 2 1/4" on the inside. If you're worried about police and emissions then I'd stick with the stock style exhaust routing.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:20 AM
On The Tree

Take the disc of silence out. Once you do the cam and FLP LT's /ORY (i would change to a flowmaster merge Y, the FLP one sucks)you will be glad you have the Dual Dual, it will smooth out the exhaust note but will sound healthy and flow as good as any catback out there. The LM1 resonator is a waste of time, I'd recommend Replacing it with the 3" Borla XR1 #40085, but if you want true duals then just get a kit from TSP, running duals with no X or H defeats the purpose (scavenging and balancing the exhaust) and will probably sound like ***. Getting pulled for loud exhaust in Cali sucks, you will end up at a SMOG referee, it's costs big $ and you get tagged so you have to smog every year. Ask me how I know.

Last edited by hardcore4sure; 04-05-2012 at 01:29 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:07 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by hardcore4sure
running duals with no X or H defeats the purpose (scavenging and balancing the exhaust) and will probably sound like ***.
Sounds fine to me. I was going to do an X but was talked out by other who had added one to gain nothing at the track.

LT, no cats, 3" pipe to Flowtech Terminator muffers, 45* turn outs at the axle

I can open the dual cutouts and not gain any ET, sometimes gains .2-.4 MPH in the 1/4 (but sounds bad with them open)

http://youtu.be/X0M9y8t42SM

http://youtu.be/SFJjB_h8DT0
Old 04-05-2012, 09:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have a True Dual LM1 setup and I get nothing but complements on how it sounds. I have full bolt-ons, but no head work or cam unfortunately.... Here is a sound clip

http://s1122.photobucket.com/albums/...1.mp4&newest=1
Old 04-05-2012, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Sounds fine to me. I was going to do an X but was talked out by other who had added one to gain nothing at the track.

LT, no cats, 3" pipe to Flowtech Terminator muffers, 45* turn outs at the axle

I can open the dual cutouts and not gain any ET, sometimes gains .2-.4 MPH in the 1/4 (but sounds bad with them open)

http://youtu.be/X0M9y8t42SM

http://youtu.be/SFJjB_h8DT0
First of all you have a Chevelle, so the exhaust layout it different for muffler placement and the amount of room for different size mufflers. I'd have to say it didn't sound bad at all, but then again that's what Classic Muscle cars generally sound like. The OP is thinking about TDs with LM1 resonators and no X, it WILL sound like ***. In Cali is a guaranteed ticket and smog violation. Just because one guy doesn't gain at the track doesn't mean X or H pipes don't work. There r lots of variables that could effect track results. Plus how much of our driving time is only at the track? It will have more effect at part throttle tip in then WOT which you may not feel since you have a big cam and 3600 stall. The science is proven, pretty sure if they didn't work NASCAR wouldn't use em.

Last edited by hardcore4sure; 04-05-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PheonixLS1
I have a True Dual LM1 setup and I get nothing but complements on how it sounds. I have full bolt-ons, but no head work or cam unfortunately.... Here is a sound clip

http://s1122.photobucket.com/albums/...1.mp4&newest=1
That sounds OK, pretty rumbly. Are you running cats? Are you running an X pipe? You don't live in Cali like the OP and don't have a cam, which is a big part of my recommendation.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
I dont think mine would be that much louder with h / c. Maybe at idle but at wot I dont think its possible for it to be any louder.
Heads and cam move more air. It will be louder.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by hardcore4sure
First of all you have a Chevelle, so the exhaust layout it different for muffler placement and the amount of room for different size mufflers. I'd have to say it didn't sound bad at all, but then again that's what Classic Muscle cars generally sound like. The OP is thinking about TDs with LM1 resonators and no X, it WILL sound like ***. In Cali is a guaranteed ticket and smog violation. Just because one guy doesn't gain at the track doesn't mean X or H pipes don't work. There r lots of variables that could effect track results. Plus how much of our driving time is only at the track? It will have more effect at part throttle tip in then WOT which you may not feel since you have a big cam and 3600 stall. The science is proven, pretty sure if they didn't work NASCAR wouldn't use em.
I mis-interpretted your post to mean that any true duals without a h or x would sound bad. I agree with you the dual LM1 setup is a bad idea.

My mufflers are in the same place as the TSP duals puts them on a fbody, I've installed them on 2 different friends' cars. Muffler type of course is different. My point was just that duals do not need the crossover to sound good, which as it turns out isn't what you meant.

TSP duals with the Sweet Thunders, 1 chamber Flowmasters, and Dynomax bullets all sound excellent.

Quick Reply: True Duals, LM1, 224 Cam, Headers, California... Bad Combo?