Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to know how good the stock catback pipe is?? Answer is inside.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 07:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Want to know how good the stock catback pipe is?? Answer is inside.

If you take the stock catback PIPE and put a straight through single in/single out muffler on it and a turn down under the bumper it flows REALLY well.

The exhaust previous pulls:

Pacesetter long tubes
Pacesetter Y pipe
Stock catback PIPE with a Bullet in the I pipe and a Magnaflow straight through muffler with a 3 inch turndown on the drivers side under the bumper.

The only changes I made were:
SLP 2OTL full catback
Cut the neckdown off the Pacesetter Y pipe.

The SLP 2OTL made 5 FIVE more rwhp than the stock pipe with the straight through muffler setup.

375 vs 380.

Also, I took and shimmed the radiator hold down up 1/8 inch and it was good for 4 rwhp and 3 in tq(hood still shuts) third pull so engine was heat soaked.

Just thought I'd share.

All dyno runs were corrected.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

So you went from stock pipe with a straight through muffler to a SLP 2OTL and gained 5rwhp?

IMO that is more a testament to how poor the stock pipe is unless your car is heads/cam/full bolt on. For a mildly modded car, 5rwhp is a valuable gain for very little effort. Especially since the previous setup likely flowed a lot better than stock in the first place.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
So you went from stock pipe with a straight through muffler to a SLP 2OTL and gained 5rwhp?

IMO that is more a testament to how poor the stock pipe is unless your car is heads/cam/full bolt on. For a mildly modded car, 5rwhp is a valuable gain for very little effort. Especially since the previous setup likely flowed a lot better than stock in the first place.
5 rwhp for $400. NOT a good investment as far as I am concerned.

Use the stock pipe, for a $150 have the Magnaflow purchased and installed.

SLP 2OTL is arguably the best flowing 3 inch catback out there. Some catbacks flow less for a lot more money.

The $2 worth of washers for 4rwhp is a good deal though lol.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Very true, but on local CL catbacks are dirt cheap and often duals sell for $300. Worthwhile investment for the long run. I agree with you I have never understood the prices some people pay for catbacks. $800-1200 an still have a crappy y pipe? No way.

5rwhp on a bolt on car can easily become 10rwhp on a cammed car. Depends on the long term goals for the car. Doing exhaust right once is nearly always cheaper than half assing it twice.

Thanks for posting the results! Nice to see the free ram air shim tested again with such good results too. I have a friend who needs to do that.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY

SLP 2OTL is arguably the best flowing 3 inch catback out there. Some catbacks flow less for a lot more money.

where is the thread on how to do that, or if you dont mind to explain how to do it that would be helpful as well. (the washer mod). thanks
Old 04-06-2012, 09:35 AM
Banned

Sorry, but what is SLP 2OTL?

I've always been curious if I picked up any gains with my cat-back, I had heard it was supposed to be very high flowing.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Drokkers
where is the thread on how to do that, or if you dont mind to explain how to do it that would be helpful as well. (the washer mod). thanks
There are 4 10mm head bolts that hold the radiator cover , which is also the lower portion of the airbox(the part the filter sits in). Go by some 5/16 washers and put under the radiator hold down where the bolts go through.

Shim it up until the lid touches the hood when shut,put a little dab of grease across the highest part of the lid and shut the hood, it will transfer onto the hood when it touches.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01

I've always been curious if I picked up any gains with my cat-back, I had heard it was supposed to be very high flowing.
This is a 2OTL(Two on the left)

Old 04-06-2012, 10:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Very true, but on local CL catbacks are dirt cheap and often duals sell for $300. Worthwhile investment for the long run. I agree with you I have never understood the prices some people pay for catbacks. $800-1200 an still have a crappy y pipe? No way.

5rwhp on a bolt on car can easily become 10rwhp on a cammed car. Depends on the long term goals for the car. Doing exhaust right once is nearly always cheaper than half assing it twice.

Thanks for posting the results! Nice to see the free ram air shim tested again with such good results too. I have a friend who needs to do that.
Seeing as the SLP and Magnaflow mufflers are twins for the most part, the power gain came from the lager pipe and me cutting the neck down off the Pacesetter Y pipe.

If you went from the stock pipe to a cross flow style mufflered catback you probably wont see any gains at all on a mild 400-425 rwhp car.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01

search can be your best friend.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...d-you-buy.html
Old 04-06-2012, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are 4 10mm head bolts that hold the radiator cover , which is also the lower portion of the airbox(the part the filter sits in). Go by some 5/16 washers and put under the radiator hold down where the bolts go through.

Shim it up until the lid touches the hood when shut,put a little dab of grease across the highest part of the lid and shut the hood, it will transfer onto the hood when it touches.
I am a little lost on what is being accomplished by shimming the airbox.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Im a little lost on what is being accomplished by shimming the airbox.
Ummmmm, really?

More air.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ummmmm, really?

More air.
Bad assumption on my part. Figured just about everyone on here had a lid, and some sort of FTRA, SSRA, or other lower airbox mod already.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Bad assumption on my part. Figured just about everyone on here had a lid, and some sort of FTRA, SSRA, or other lower airbox mod already.
It does have a lid, and free mods. Still picked up 4hp at the wheels by moving the lower box up 1/8 inch.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Little different set up here but I picked 30 rwhp with the cutout open vs the stock muffler on my cam only car. Cutout was after the the over the axle pipe.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you have a link to your air box shim? Never heard of it.the guy who had the car before me cut the bottom out of my air box.