Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spintech exhaust.....opinions? replacement sugg.?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation spintech exhaust.....opinions? replacement sugg.?

I just bought a 2000 camaro Z28 its completely stock with the exception of a spintech exhaust the prev owner put on with 3 1/4in pipes. Its kind of rattly and im not a real bbig fan of the sound. I want loud and powerful but not the sound thats its about to fall apart. Any and all suggestions are welcome thanks.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say a magnoflow 80 series. Low egressive tone but when you jump on it ti will really wake up. Also check out the exhaust sticky and Ls sounds and im sure you will find one you really like.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright will do. I appreciate all the help
Old 04-07-2012, 01:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No problem and I'm sure there will be a lot of other guys that will bring in their ideas and sets.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:37 AM
On The Tree

Spintech is not the best sounding exhaust by any means, but I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the way that you are describing it. if you are just not a fan of the tone of it, then obviously there is an upgrade in order. But if there is an issue with rattling, or sounds that you are uncertain of, then I can guarantee you that it is not the muffler... check out your clamps and hangers to see if there are any loose or missing pieces. Also check for loose nuts and bolts where your main connections are. It could be a number of things; I have been in a situation where my exhaust was rattling at idle, and it ended up being a catalytic converter that had been overheated and had chunks of the honeycomb rattling inside of the casing. The best sound that you can have IMO is GMMG btw.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well its not really a rattling sound its just when i actually get on it it gets real raspy. Not really the best sound ive heard from exhaust. I like the sound of my stock exhaust on my trans am better than the spintech sound its got the deep tone i want its just a lot cleaner sound if i could get that sound only louder it would be perfect
Old 04-07-2012, 01:46 AM
On The Tree

The rest of the exhaust is stock? I am picturing a catless exhaust system with a shitty muffler when I hear what you are describing.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:50 AM
On The Tree

Also, you are listing the size of the piping, is that the tips, or the actual piping coming back form the y-pipe? (too much space for the exhaust to flow is not always a good thing)
Old 04-07-2012, 01:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This is the size coming back from the y. All this was done by the prev owner. I personally plan to do an x pipe setup from texas speed with dual electronic cutouts but i still want to find a decent sounding muffler for now
Old 04-07-2012, 02:10 AM
On The Tree

I have a flow master d port merge so I'm not sure how much it changes the sound, but my flowmaster single chamber knockoffs are cheap, high flowing, and sounds like an eargasm. Nice, deep, and tame at idle (stock cam), sounds like the appocolypse when it's opened up. Sounds better than a cobra.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:13 AM
On The Tree

Alright well that is fairly over sized piping. If you are planning on upgrading it, then I would just say wait, and do everything at once. It is going to sound pretty crappy right now because you have some restriction off of the motor, and then a big opening towards the end (its like a brass instrument with the restrictive piping and big bell at the end). Just save up the funds and do everything at once. People get too excited to do something and end up wasting their time and money.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would listen to 1999camaroSS. I don't know how much money I have in my exhaust because I just kept changing it. Now I have long tubes true duals 2.5" pipe through an x pipe through high flow cats and under the axel in stock location with 4" stainless tips. Sounds great at idle and mild while cruising but once you jump on it the demon comes out. So I recommend just wait for the td's and save some money.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That's probably a 3.5" mufflex cat-back, a Magnaflow #14151($126), and a Dynomax Ultra Flo #17517($103) or a Hooker Aero Chamber #21507HKR($70), but these are all single 3.5" outlet mufflers.
The Hooker Aero Chamber is the only one that's not stainless steel.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01transampower
I would listen to 1999camaroSS. I don't know how much money I have in my exhaust because I just kept changing it. Now I have long tubes true duals 2.5" pipe through an x pipe through high flow cats and under the axel in stock location with 4" stainless tips. Sounds great at idle and mild while cruising but once you jump on it the demon comes out. So I recommend just wait for the td's and save some money.
Oh i figured out my oil pressure gauge problem. Its the opsu thats causing the fluctuating gauge i tested the voltage at the gauge and then at the opsu and it was jumping almmostt in time with the gauge needle
Old 04-08-2012, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by US_Army_Z28
Oh i figured out my oil pressure gauge problem. Its the opsu thats causing the fluctuating gauge i tested the voltage at the gauge and then at the opsu and it was jumping almmostt in time with the gauge needle
Well atleast you found the problem. Now there is a post and a guy just had to replace his and has how he did it. Its a brand new post. Ironic timing.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't like rasp an off road y pipe might not be for you. Check out youtube and ls1sounds.com

I would wait and do an exhaust and headers at the same time.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:41 PM
Teching In

If you get a ORY, try the hooker aerochamber system. Sounds amazing and not much rasp, and no drone to it at all. A great exhaust system for the money
Old 04-09-2012, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01transampower
Well atleast you found the problem. Now there is a post and a guy just had to replace his and has how he did it. Its a brand new post. Ironic timing.
Wow that is ironic. And about thhe ory i wont be using a y pipe after i reddo my exhaust im planning on getting texas speed headers and x pipe with dual electric cutouts. One of my sgts in my unit is running that setup on his 2000 ws6 t/a and it sounds great he has texas speed mufflers on it too though and i dont like those all that much so im really just tryin to figure what kind of muffler im gonna go with
Old 04-09-2012, 01:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by US_Army_Z28
Wow that is ironic. And about thhe ory i wont be using a y pipe after i reddo my exhaust im planning on getting texas speed headers and x pipe with dual electric cutouts. One of my sgts in my unit is running that setup on his 2000 ws6 t/a and it sounds great he has texas speed mufflers on it too though and i dont like those all that much so im really just tryin to figure what kind of muffler im gonna go with
If your going to do headers and a catless x-pipe I would save your money on the cut-outs but that just my .02

The texas speed duals have 3 muffler choices:

Bullets (what I have and the loudest)
stainless works (more for tone)
and the Moroso Spiral Flows (my guess is they are some what between the two, but I don't know much about them)

Ask your Sgt. which mufflers he got.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well my whole reason for the cutouts is i dont want to be ungodlly loud all the time. This car is gonna be a daily driver with mild work that i can still go to the track and stomp on some people when ii want to. So after i do the x i wanna do the cutouts with a quieter muffler.. something thatll almost make it sound stock with the cutouts closed

Quick Reply: spintech exhaust.....opinions? replacement sugg.?