Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3" Magnaflows w/ x-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 01:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3" Magnaflows w/ x-pipe

Hello all, wanting to convert my Borla y-pipe to true duals - 3" Magnaflows, piping, x-pipe and dumps before the rear. Anybody done it, and does it fit underneath the car? Better clearance than a system all the way out the back? How's the drone in the upper RPM's? Is there a kit out there or is it going to have to be a custom fabbed unit, or universal kit? Car in question is an '02 SS. Thanks!

Last edited by mrdreex; 04-08-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:01 AM
Staging Lane

bump.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

bump, id like to know as well
Old 04-08-2012, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tsp duals, kooks true duals, and Bassani make dual kits. Tsp dumps before the axle, kooks and Bassani go over the axle and out the back.

As fOr a manga flow kit, not that I know of. You would have to buy universal piping.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:31 PM
Staging Lane

Really? Nobody on here has done it?
Old 04-08-2012, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure someone has, try the true duals sticky. I have the TSP true dual and it has some drone below 2000 rpm with the bullets I have on there. A muffler shop can make you a dual system using an X-pipe but then your at the mercy of how good a job they can do. The TSP set-up fits pretty well and the Kooks is awesome but the price for one of those things is outrageous in my book.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:17 AM
Launching!

I havent done it before but I am waiting for my next paycheck so i can go grab an X pipe. I plan on doing the same thing, LT headers, xpipe n then magnaflows dumped. Ive heard the setup at a car show once on a TA n it was very beastly...not too loud(at low RPMS that is) n nice tone to it
Old 04-09-2012, 11:36 AM
Staging Lane

Does everyone here just bow down and pray to the ls1 gods and listen to the crowd and go with a huge y-pipe and split out to tips? When I bought my ls1, it came with headers, shitty, leaky exhaust clamps to a y-pipe, then a **** ton of bends up to ANOTHER split, one to the passenger side exhaust tip, and another to the actual massive Borla muffler, then to the driver side exhaust tip. This was a kit installed from them. Nice stainless steel, probably cost $700, but sounded like crap, and probably performs subpar too. Nothing about this exhaust setup screams 'efficiency' at me. Am I the only one here that goes WTF on this kind of setup?

Last edited by mrdreex; 04-09-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Y pipes can be made to flow just as efficient if not better using a quality merge than an X pipe set-up. They tend to tuck a little nicer (depending on the brand of the y-pipe) for people who are lowered. But most of all I think it's just a sound preference. Plus you can bolt them up a little bit easier.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
Y pipes can be made to flow just as efficient if not better using a quality merge than an X pipe set-up. They tend to tuck a little nicer (depending on the brand of the y-pipe) for people who are lowered. But most of all I think it's just a sound preference. Plus you can bolt them up a little bit easier.

Hell yeah, look up Steve Gunn on here, his exhaust sounds near perfect and it is a big huge 4" Y pipe. He runs his to a cutout. I may follow suit if I ever man up and cam my car.