Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet Another Ebay Headers thread, sorry in advance

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet Another Ebay Headers thread, sorry in advance

Ive browsed this forum for 3 years now..no idea why it took me this long to make a profile seeing as most of you guys, without knowing, have helped me out a great deal on my project (01 camaro Z28). In regards to the headers question..i recently purchased a set of stainless Lpp Long tube headers (had shorty headers before because i wasn't sure if long tubes were going to clear properly due to the lowering springs). My question (and ive looked for the answer in numerous threads but have yet to find it.) Is will a kooks catted y match up to a set of these headers? I was told the merge on the lpp y is junk and was just wondering what other y-pipes i could use instead of that one. I have an SLP LM2 system currently with a custom y-pipe and shorty headers and i dont want to butcher everything (kind of would like to keep the cat back) Sorry again for making another thread about these headers but i would appreciate any feedback.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:21 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just put them on and take it to an exhaust shop and have them custom make your Y so you know that it is going to fit like it should, and it will probably save you some money
Old 04-17-2012, 05:07 AM
Teching In

That's always a viable option and it does make sense but to be honest there's only a few things that get me away from work/the house/everyday problems.. Etc.. And one of those is being able to wrench on my car.. So if there is ever in option in which doing it myself comes about.. I usually take the route. Appreciate your input non the less. Anyone here tried the pacesetter y?
Old 04-17-2012, 06:41 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't *need* a catted Y, I've read from a few people that the TSP ORY fits perfectly, even better than the stock Y.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Why dont you use the lpp y and put a flowmaster merge on it so you know it will fit perfect with no guess work. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:05 AM
Teching In

You know that tsp ory keeps sounding more and more appealing as I look at it. My only concern is the sound.. Is it unbearably loud and raspy without cats? I mean.. It's always going to have some rasp seeing as it's a y pipe and not an X pipe.. But I'll have longtubes to an ory to a loudmouth 2 catback.. Anyone running this set up that can give me an idea of the sound?
Old 04-17-2012, 07:14 AM
11 Second Club

I don't have any rasp, but I have the SLP Dual/Dual.

It's all about muffler choice.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:58 AM
Teching In

^Thanks, Ill keep that in mind. I might keep the original lm2 system but do 2 more mufflers like the proflo system. I was thinking of going with dynomax race bullet mufflers instead of the SLP ones. Anyone use these? There only 12" long so i figured it would make for an easy cut and clamp in place.

Last edited by OpiumCrypt; 04-17-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, skip the Kooks Y-pipe, it's got just as shitty a merge plus it's way too expensive. TSP seems to have the only stainless Y-pipe that's cheap and has a good merge.

As far as the loudness goes, there's any number of things you could do. See if anyone wants to trade their Magnaflow for your Loudmouth. If not you could have cats added to the ORY. Another possibility is doing the Powerflow conversion, or swapping the LM2 for something like a Borla XR1 or Magnapack.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you could just get the TSP catted Y-pipe.
http://www.texas-speed.com/p-292-tex...ed-y-pipe.aspx
although for $220 more than there ORY I'd look into adding cats to it instead.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fry_
you could just get the TSP catted Y-pipe.
http://www.texas-speed.com/p-292-tex...ed-y-pipe.aspx
although for $220 more than there ORY I'd look into adding cats to it instead.
IIRC the catted Y is not stainless.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Latch
IIRC the catted Y is not stainless.
Thats the main reason I'd look into adding cars to there ORY.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:06 AM
Teching In

I was thinking of just getting the tsp catted y but as latch said its not stainless..I could add stainless bullet style cats but im not sure of the quality and where to get a good set. If i could get away with running it without cats and just doing a lm2 muffler replacement with a more restrictive alternative or keeping the lm2 muffler and adding 2 dynomax bullet mufflers to the cat-back near the end (like the slp proflo) ill just end up doing that. When i do order the rest of the items needed ill make sure to take lots of pictures and give you guys a good idea as to how the install went. In the future i plan on doing a cam upgrade as well and pictures will be taken there too. I just wish i would have documented all of my upgrades and added them to this site like many of you have done. Currently i have a long list of mods including a centerforce dual friction clutch, B&M ripper shifter, c5 caliper conversion, ls6 intake, plugs, wires, 11lb racing flywheel, tubular sub-frame connectors, bellow kit, lid, etc etc. from now on ill be doing more documentation of mods to come, that way when anyone else plans on doing something similar they can see what i all batched up in my process first to avoid it in theirs