Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

getting the most out of bolt-ons

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default getting the most out of bolt-ons

Currently my car has the mods in my sig. I have a monster stage 2 clutch and a tick built trans waiting. Next Im getting a 9" with 4.11's, then my drive train is complete for now.

I want to do a h/c/i car but thats a while down the road so for now I will remain a bolt-ons car. Where do I begin to get the absolute most out of a bolt-ons car. i do plan on getting some TD's soon as well as a tune. In the way of UD pulleys and intakes what route should I take? My car is a 02 so I have the ls6 intake already anything considered an upgrade for this that isnt overkill for a bolt-ons car?
Old 04-29-2012, 08:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From your sig it looks like you already have a lid, and the full exhaust to be taken care of soon. TDs will net you the absolute most as far as exhaust goes. The other common bolt-on's for you to add would be a ported/bigger throttle body and an underdrive balancer (10-25%), maybe a 160* thermostat, and finish with a good tune.

Now if you want to get every last pony out of the motor, you can also do an 85mm MAF, electric water pump, and ditch the LS6 intake for a FAST 90 or FAST 102. Even on a stock cube, stock internal car, the FAST intakes will up the power, but they're really expensive for what they offer on a stock engine. To get the stuff in this paragraph, you'd be looking at spending close to $2,000. Just keep in mind, that the stock MAF is good for well over what you'll make on bolt-on's, and the LS6 intake isn't normally a power restriction until you do heads and a cam. What you install now just depends on your budget really.

It also looks like you have the suspension handled well for now, so really all that would be left is a nice sticky tire to put that power to the ground.

Also: For an underdrive balancer, make sure your tuner sets your idle high enough to keep the alternator charging. With you being an M6, it's probably a null point and you won't need an overdrive pulley on the alternator, but it's something to keep in mind.

Last edited by 02'Andy; 04-29-2012 at 08:23 PM.