Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misfire on drivers side?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Misfire on drivers side?

Hello everyone,

I just installed longtubes on my car 2 weeks ago and got a ecm mail order tune from Frost. After installation, I put about 500 miles on my car with no problems. This weekend I was driving and the transmission started shaking like crazy and the engine had no power. Luckily I was close to my house so I went home immediately. The car drives great for the first 20 seconds after start up, but when I took a look at the spark plugs on the drivers side, they were all full of carbon. Any ideas? I already replaced the plugs, I dont want to do wires yet because I have a feeling it is an electronics problem. Help!

Thanks in advance,

Dave
Old 04-29-2012, 04:04 PM
Staging Lane

I'm thinking it has something to do with the oxygen sensors, but I am a little confused how I was able to drive with no issues for a while
Old 04-29-2012, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

I had that same problem and my o2 extension was too close to the header and melted the wires together.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:18 PM
Teching In

Check the ground on the back of the driver head it should have three grounds on the one bolt if it's not tight it will shut off that bank of coils
Old 04-29-2012, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the replies, I checked the bolt on the back of the head and it is fine. I also checked the wires (about 6 different times!) and they all look good
Old 04-30-2012, 02:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Probably O2 sensor on the driver side, and probably an exhaust leak around there to.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one quick easy way to find out is to unplug the FRONT o2 sensors. let the car warm up to the operating temp. go for a drive. if its fine then it is most likely your O2 sensors provided you dont have any other sensors that are bad. and dont worry its totally fine to drive without O2 sensors. black plugs from the longtubes are some how common due to a rich condition. good luck.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

Ok I got a code, it is p0131. Just so everyone knows, I had the rear O2 sensors tuned out by Frost. Right now I am driving with no senor (hole is plugged) because it is the only way it will work. I have searched other threads and found that others have had similar problems, but this is only ONE code, not for both sides. Here is what I have found to be working correctly: correct fuel pressure, no vacuum leaks, no wires are burnt (that I can see), and the PCM is on tightly and making contact. I am only drawing 155 mV and should be higher