Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam only lq4 down on power.Need advice.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Cam only lq4 down on power.Need advice.

So I made my first trip to the dyno for a tune today and stumbled on some issues with my setup.Mods in sig.

The tuner was super cool and went through everything with me during the pulls to show me whats happening.He wants me to fix some things and I want to hear other opinions if you guys think this will help bum my rwhp up a fair amount.

Tuner suggested new Tr6 NGK plugs,remove my msd plug wires for new gm wires(was getting random miss fires and they were highly against the msd wires for this problem).My 2yr old bosh 1311 o2 sensors are pretty fouled from my ls1 that puked on me earlier this yr(resused them for budget reasons) and do full exhaust and get rid of the stock manifolds and 2.5inch y pipe for 1 7/8 headers and 3 inch y pipe.And also mill my 317 heads or replace them with 243 heads to bump compression from 9.5:1 upto 10.5.

The car had great a/f across the board.But the numbers were low.Made 310rwhp and 330rwtq on a dynojet.This dyno is a heartbreaker and stock ls1's get 250rwhp around here,so I was expecting low figures but still wanted atleast 330rwhp and 350rwtq.Baseline pull was 280hp/306tq.

What do you guys think of it? I trust in this shop and the tuner which are well known on here in the Canadian forums.Minus getting new heads and exhaust..can I expect a significant increase just fixing those parts to make 20rwhp or more? I can say the car runs completely different and smoother now.Was very sluggish and running 11.0 a/f on the bottom end untill 4000rpm... and was still too rich.I learned alot from this dyno session and wish I did it sooner.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:33 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say do almost everything he suggested. TR6's will be fine, the plug wires are really preference, as long as the measure resistance fine, and are not arking to like the exhaust manifolds, they are fine.

Also, just l;ike he said, stock exhaust manifolds and the lower compression ratio from 317's would put you down on power.

I would personally sell or trade my 317's for a lower combustion chamber head, then save some money for the headers, and O2 sensors.

Then go back and make your 350+ to the wheel.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Headers and 3" true duals (or at least 3" y pipe into 4" I pipe) would be my priorities. You will get more gains from that than everything else combined. There is likely 35-40rwhp or better to be had in exhaust on a cammed 6.0

Reverse modding always leads to disappointment and then you have to spend the money just to be happy in the first place IMO. I cut corners then when my cammed, stock stall car made 325rwhp and and got beat by mild bolt on cars I got pissed.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Yeah tuner is expecting 50rwhp to be gained from from doing exhaust on my car being soo choked off.Not that Im not happy or was trying to cut corners,I wanted a cammed v8 just cause thats what im used to.And it being peppy on the street.But at the same time..50 or so more hp is a whole other animal to be had and its worth doing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cam only lq4 down on power.Need advice.