Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'01 SS starts heating up while idling

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '01 SS starts heating up while idling

Ok guys I have tried searching a little but it I couldn't find a similar situation to mine. My car runs cool - right on the normal temp while driving but while idling (like in a drive thru or traffic jam) the engine starts to get warm. And its not just a little warm - close to red. I luckily heard the fan kick on and noticed that it didn't seem to help but as soon as I speed up the motor or start driving it cools right back down. Any ideas guys? I'm hoping that the water pump isn't getting ready to go but I think that might be the situation. All help is appreciated!
Old 05-01-2012, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

I know when you are driving air is going up the air dam and cooling the engine. My 1994 Firebird also gets hotter when I'm not moving.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I have the same problem... I took it up to 150 on the highway the other day and it was perfectly fine. But it has always had a bit of trouble keeping cool while idling or stop/go. I know it's not my radiator because it was actually just repaired a few days ago and the problem persists. Low oil light is on for me but I've checked it and it's fine... anyone?
Old 05-01-2012, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Check your coolant. or possible thermostat.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your car has ever been tuned the tuner could have messed with the fans and when they come on. I have no over heating problems at idle or stop and go. Your coolant or thermostat could be bad. Coolant can get nasty over time. Check that.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by need2speed94
I think I have the same problem... I took it up to 150 on the highway the other day and it was perfectly fine. But it has always had a bit of trouble keeping cool while idling or stop/go. I know it's not my radiator because it was actually just repaired a few days ago and the problem persists. Low oil light is on for me but I've checked it and it's fine... anyone?
Your oil level sensor in the pan could be going bad or gummed up. I'd say check that because if its not going off the sensor could be going bad. Or maybe check your fuses.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is the car stock or modified? I'm assuming your cooling system is fully topped off and not low?

You may want to check the front of the radiator. Sometimes the front of it can get clogged with leaves or even a plastic bag.

If you car has been modified and tuned, your tuner can set your cooling fans to turn on sooner at a lower temperature.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^ What Bramlok siad^^^
Old 05-01-2012, 05:37 PM
TECH Regular

I will go ahead and look at that oil level sensor... most likely why that light is on because like I said I have plenty of oil. Thanks
Old 05-01-2012, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

If the coolant is topped off, and the radiator is not blocked, confirm that BOTH fans are coming on. You can let it get up to temp, or just turn on the AC, and within a few seconds both fans should come on, no matter the temp.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

Ok guys I didn't happen to think about it until someone mentioned their low oil light. When I first noticed the temp going up, the low oil light was not on. I checked the coolant level and it was low, so I added coolant but it didn't fix it. Then the other day my low oil light came on(I hadn't checked the oil level in a while) so I checked it and it was about 1.5 quarts low. I added oil but haven't thought to check and see if it stared to over heat after that. I bet that it was just heating the oil too much and couldn't keep cool oil flowing at idle
Old 05-02-2012, 09:43 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by User Name Here
Ok guys I didn't happen to think about it until someone mentioned their low oil light. When I first noticed the temp going up, the low oil light was not on. I checked the coolant level and it was low, so I added coolant but it didn't fix it. Then the other day my low oil light came on(I hadn't checked the oil level in a while) so I checked it and it was about 1.5 quarts low. I added oil but haven't thought to check and see if it stared to over heat after that. I bet that it was just heating the oil too much and couldn't keep cool oil flowing at idle
If you start to get cooled down after you start moving.....this points towards your fans (BOTH of them) not working properly.

You may have heard one kick on.........but they must work together always. And they must go into LOW and HIGH together.

The only thing that keeps an engine cool when idling or when driving in stop and go traffic......are the fans. And the little bit of air flow when you do move, but its actually close to nothing for cooling.

So....fans are everything at the times when you are getting hot. Make sure they are BOTH coming on and make sure they are BOTH working in LOW and HIGH settings.

Just pull over next time you see the temps at or around 240*F......A/C "off". CAREFULLY put your fingers in front of each fan to check if they are blowing at the same speed/power.

If they are.......then put your hand on the intake. If you can keep it there flat on top of the intake, with temps in the 240*F range, then you're really not running hot. You probably have a failing "Coolant Temp Sensor." At 240*F+ there's no way you can keep your hand on the intake without getting burned. Normal temps allow you to keep it on the intake with no problems at all, it won't be that hot to the touch at all.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:59 AM
Staging Lane

LS6427 - you make a good point. I did hear the fans blowing (or at least one of them) but I'm not sure if they are working together or not. I will try to keep to duplicate the situation soon and see if I can confirm if they are working together. I have a feeling that the low oil level may have contributed to them situation but may not be the entire problem. Thanks for your help guys!
Old 05-03-2012, 12:37 PM
TECH Regular

I'm glad my oil problem aided you in becoming closer to your problem haha.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:44 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by User Name Here
LS6427 - you make a good point. I did hear the fans blowing (or at least one of them) but I'm not sure if they are working together or not. I will try to keep to duplicate the situation soon and see if I can confirm if they are working together. I have a feeling that the low oil level may have contributed to them situation but may not be the entire problem. Thanks for your help guys!
I've been low on oil where there's nothing showing on the dipstick.......and my temps didn't change at all. Oil has very little to do with "engine" cooling. If you put an external oil cooler on it, then it would help cool. Our cars won't change temps with low oil. Unless maybe you're road racing it with 2 1/2 qrts in there.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:50 PM
TECH Regular

When are the fans supposed to come on? My car came with a fan switch from the previous owner, and they never come on automatically.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think the factory fans are set to come on at 180-200 but I may be wrong.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01transampower
I think the factory fans are set to come on at 180-200 but I may be wrong.
Hmm alright. I usually hit the switch if it nears 200.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:29 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

The "oil low" light tells you when the oil is below full. This will not cause your engine to run hot. If the oil level is so low that the oil pump is sucking air and your oil pressure goes to zero, then yes, this will cause you to run hot-in a hurry.

The oil low indicator had nothing to do with the engine running hot at low engine speeds.

How many miles on this car?

Assuming the coolant level is correct and the fans are working, we can see the water pump works better at higher engine speeds.

I'll say you need a new water pump. Sometimes, the pump impeller can rot away reducing it's effectiveness at lower speeds. Worst case scenario, the impeller disintegrates to a flat disc.

Here's an extreme example:

Last edited by Paul Bell; 05-14-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

Well I'm glad to know the oil level isn't the culprit. The car has 90k on it so it's not very high mileage. I actually thought the water pump may be going but was hoping for that to not be the case

Quick Reply: '01 SS starts heating up while idling