Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motor mount question....

Old 05-01-2012, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default motor mount question....

OK guys it appears I am about to replace my headers to some larger ones on the Z.
My motor shakes the entire car and sometimes looking at it running it looks like its going to shake out of the engine bay!!! so I am assuming the motor mounts are not the best. I am thinking of changing them. This should be a really easy job with the headers off the car correct? Maybe 30 minutes with an engine hoist????

Any techniques are appreciated. Any recomendations on maybe a stiffer mount. I am not sure if its the stiffness or if the old ones are just worn.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are a ton of threads on this. You rubber mounts are most likely shot, and allowing way too much play in the mounts. Youll get mixed reviews, but you can go back to rubber, upgrade to Polyurethane (I have prothane poly engine/trans mounts in both our WS6s) or even go to solid mounts.. Just do some searches and read alot, before you decide to buy anything.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Do Poly.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

poly motor mounts have been the best mod by far for my m6 car.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love my polys, but be ready to fight them.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:30 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ssdungeon
This should be a really easy job with the headers off the car correct? Maybe 30 minutes with an engine hoist????
LOL. Hell no... they are a pain in the ***. You'll see.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Motor mounts aren't fun but they're not all that bad. I did mine the other day. My advice is take the pedestal and mount off. Loosen center bolt so it can pivot, unbolt it from the block, unbolt the pedastel, and jack the engine up. I would go ahead and take the alternator off so you can get to the bolts a little better. And read the instructions on the mounts. I put one of mine in backwards and got to the other side and it wouldn't line up. Had to redo the hole thing.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Posted by EvilZ99:
I read a write up before I did mine that saved me a billion hours lol. I did mine in an hour with out moving any accessories. If you take out the pedestal and the mount at the same time then there is no need to move any accessories out of the way. Best advice I ever got. The only reason you move the accessories is to get out the long pedestal bolt. But if you dont take that bolt out until the mount and pedestal are out of the car then you have no reason to move anything. Not to mention it is was easier to line the holes back up when you do it that way. Everyone talks like headers and motor mounts are the worse thing in the world. Either my car was different or I read way to many write ups but I thought it was pretty easy and painless. And was done it all in roughly 8 hours. With breaks. I will say this. The 4 bolts one each side that hold the clamshells to the block are hard to get a wrench or socket on so you will probly only be able to do a 1/4 turn at a time. This is where having the right tools for the job comes in.
GEAR WRENCH! an lsx owners BEST friend!

I think I will take the entire pedestals off and then mount the mounts. I dont want to take the accessories off if I don't have to. But I will. One thing is for sure I think ill do this on the weekend and at my friends shop instead of at the house.

In my 2000 SS I did headers and intake in about 6-7 hrs with my dad on jack stands.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:23 AM
11 Second Club

It's going to take you at least a day. I just did mine last weekend, pain in the ***. I even did one side at a time, left the other one in place so the motor couldn't shift. I did it all by myself tho. If you have 1 or 2 friends to lend a hand you could get it done fairly quick.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:44 PM
TECH Junkie

+2 on removing the entire pedestal with the mount still on it. i think that would've saved me an hour or better. i tried lining everything back up with the pedestal in place and ended up removing them anyway. i also removed the alt and ac comp.

it won't take all day. it took me 10 hrs total to do headers and mounts...from driving in the garage to driving out. i even had my 4 yr old daughter in there, multiple breaks, lunch, dinner, a nap, and taking her back to her mom's that evening (hr round trip).

i think i could've done the headers & mounts by myself in about 5 hours honestly. with no distractions and knowing what i know about the pedestal now.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Teching In

Default Mounts

For those of you that removed the pedastal and mount. Did you remove both sides at the same time or can you do one side at a time and pivot the motor about the other side? Put the new mount asm back in and just pivot back into place?
Old 05-04-2012, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I removed 1 side and left the other side in, but left it extremely loose to allow as much movement as possible.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by blu99t/a
i removed 1 side and left the other side in, but left it extremely loose to allow as much movement as possible.
^^^^ +1
Old 05-05-2012, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blu99T/A
Love my polys, but be ready to fight them.
A fight is an understatement...more like getting jumped and fighting your way out!!
Old 05-05-2012, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wicked383lt1
A fight is an understatement...more like getting jumped and fighting your way out!!
Good point
Old 05-06-2012, 09:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I wrote a writeup on headers and Poly MM a couple years ago. I did it the traditional way, leaving the pedestal in, but that way does require 2 people. Somewhere in that writeup, you'll see that getting one side was fine, but the other required having the engine on a jack with someone making subtle movements, while your trunk jack is used to push sideways on the engine.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...otsa-pics.html
Old 05-14-2012, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

I bought some poly and changed them not easy took me some hours the cheapest shop charged me 200 I said no way but when I did the mounts I see why lol
Old 05-14-2012, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cyberkill
I wrote a writeup on headers and Poly MM a couple years ago. I did it the traditional way, leaving the pedestal in, but that way does require 2 people. Somewhere in that writeup, you'll see that getting one side was fine, but the other required having the engine on a jack with someone making subtle movements, while your trunk jack is used to push sideways on the engine.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...otsa-pics.html
I memorized your whole thread by heart lol. I did my motor mounts your way and I never had alignment problems either, they were a breeze. Maybe I'm just lucky?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: motor mount question....