Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A.I.R. system removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 11:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A.I.R. system removal

so i was looking at buying a set of kooks off road headers, now of course the air system would have to be remove it, so question is how do i remove it and how hard is it to do, plus will a check engine light come on as in will i need a tune for it, because i had headers put on awhile ago and the egr was removed and the car was tuned and headers, full exhaust and a lid are my only mods, i don't wanna pay for another tune for the little mods i have.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The air pump is easy to remove, under the front bumper on the driver side you'll see a plastic cover from the wheel well to the bumper. Remove that cover and you'll see the pump. Unplug it and remove the pump and the 2 hoses, one to the air lid and the other to the header. You get a SES light but can turn off the DTC code with HP tuners. A shop would do it cheap if you don't have the program. Have you ever had the car tuned ? How many more mods do you plan on ?
Old 05-04-2012, 01:07 AM
On The Tree

how cheap would you think a shop would tune that out for, i would be going to speed inc for that to get tuned out if anything, the car has been tuned before for my old set of headers, and for other mods. nothing yet but do plan on heads and intake, and most likely cam, but that wont be for awhile.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:24 AM
On The Tree

i also saw that there was a tube that goes to the back of the intake manifold? how do i get to that whenn getting the air off and what do i plug it with?
Old 05-04-2012, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

depends on your relationship with speed inc...shouldn't cost much since their just deleting air....a programer will do the same.
Reach back and pull the hose off, plug it with any sort of plug thats the diameter of the hose...Best bet is to read the writeups on this site of the air removal.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28-4Ever
i also saw that there was a tube that goes to the back of the intake manifold? how do i get to that whenn getting the air off and what do i plug it with?
Sorry I forgot about the litte vac hose on the intake its been about 6-7 years since I've seen the air system on my car. When I did mine i found a small bolt that fit into the rubber vac elbo and covered it in red RTV and stuck the bolt in to block off the old line. Its been that way ever since, no problems here.

If the car has been tuned with your current headers going to a new header isn't going to change any thing. I would leave the tune alone and get the dtc turned off for the air pump. Get the car retuned after the cam goes in.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:14 AM
On The Tree

so the hose on the back of the intake connects to the air system and not somewhere else? because the writeup i got didnt show that. just need to know before i remove it so im not breaking anything inportant. and i talked to tony at speed inc and was told since it got a basic tune with the current headers that all emissions was deleted, so the air is just there and not doing anything.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I did with mine was put a tube joiner in the hose then cap the joiner off with a vacuum cap. Don't have to mess with the back of the intake at all and if you are like most of us here, will be replacing the intake at some point and can deal with it better at that point.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Surely your tuner will turn off the SES light off for you for free... Mine did lol
Old 05-06-2012, 01:34 AM
On The Tree

ok so the intake in the back does connect to the air system, how do i remove that without breaking it when i take the whole system off, and how would i plug that up or anything, i dont plan on replacing the intake yet, unless i find a really good deal on one.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Launching!

not trying to hi-jack your thread, just want to make sure i am understanding this... i can install race headers, remove the A.I.R. system. and when i have the car tuned(either mailorder or slowhawk) they can delete the code completely and when i go for inspection they wont know it was deleted??

Quick Reply: A.I.R. system removal