Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Money More Power?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Money More Power?

Okay, so I am pretty new into the whole LS1 scene.
I've had my car over a year ('98 formula) and finally have money to do upgrades.
I've been shopping around for headers.
I've noticed that they range anywhere from $300 - $1,000+
Will $300 long tube headers give me as much power as the higher dollar ones?
Or should I settle right in the middle?
I'm not giving any brand names because I read in one of the stickies that you're not aloud to, hope I didn't break any rules.

Also, on a scale of 1-10, how difficult is it to install lt headers?
Do I need a Y or X pipe?
Thank you!
Old 05-04-2012, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Generally, yes, power will not differentiate between the different brands of headers, however what you pay for is the quality, size and finish, so it's really all in what you prefer. Between the X and Y, it's also all preference, just do some research and decide what you think sounds the best.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

mo money=mo problems
Old 05-04-2012, 11:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you read a lot on the forum, you'll see that there is really a premium to get every last bit of power. Applies to headers too. Larger 1 7/8s primaries cost extra, but if you buy, say, 1 3/4" BBK headers, you will save some cash and get good gains,

But for a low 400rwhp car, you shouldn't have to spend that much. Cam and bolt-ons.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:57 PM
On The Tree

I'm running pacesetter headers. They work fine for me. Read up at ls1howto.com and decide if you have the tools and knowledge to do the mods you want. It's never easy. I'm finishing up a head swap and it's been a pain but well worth it.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

id get a high quality LT and be done. my stainless KOOKS have held up for a long time.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The statement is true up to a certain point. It does take money to make these go fast cars, but it is less than you would think. You will get to a point where every horse comes with a serious premium. And unless you plan on racing with it, I would not worry much about that.

As for headers, most LT are the same. You want to look at the size of the primaries. 1-3/4 vs 1-7/8. The larger will offer a better exhaust flow for engines that are destined for higher hp applications such as a good set of heads. If you are just looking for a nice sounding car with some extra power via bolt ons, then it won't matter as much. My advice would be to plan out what you want your car to be in the long run whether it be 6 months or 6 years down the road until you finish. Have an idea of what you will be putting on and you will know exactly what you need to compliment it all as you go. This will also help in buying a part and replacing it with an upgrade a year later ect.

Whatever you decide for the headers, I would suggest stainless steel. I am partial to the TSP 1-7/8 as I just installed them on my bird a couple weeks ago.

Good luck with the mods!
Old 05-05-2012, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im running pacesetters and I love them. I think if I were to do it again I would go with the tsp headers though. At the time I was on a budget but I am very happy with the ps. Install was pretty tough. Took about 8-9 hrs. Some of the lsx experts prob get it done in half that though
Old 05-05-2012, 04:14 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you everyone for your help.
I will continue to do some research and will let you guys know what I end up buying!
Old 05-05-2012, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Considering you can get TSP Stainless 1 7/8 long tube for $499, I see no reason to pay over 500 bucks for headers, unless you need even larger tubes.

I think once you get into Kooks and ARH headers, you're basically paying more for the "Made in USA" stamp than anything else. Yes the quality is good, but like anything else, it just costs more to make them here.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

i heard about some chinese ebay headers making as much power as any LT and they were cheap as ****.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

Only buy stainless steel headers. Everyone will regret mild steel eventually, I could keep these 1 7/8 ARH's until I die and theyll still be good for any setup I go with and will always look good. The quality is amazing as well. Pacesetters or any other mild steel header coated or not will look like it spent some time under water within a few years...

If you want bang for the buck, TSP is definitely the way to go. Unless you find a good deal on Kooks, ARH, etc in the classifieds.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Originally Posted by jrob56
Only buy stainless steel headers. Everyone will regret mild steel eventually, I could keep these 1 7/8 ARH's until I die and theyll still be good for any setup I go with and will always look good. The quality is amazing as well. Pacesetters or any other mild steel header coated or not will look like it spent some time under water within a few years...

If you want bang for the buck, TSP is definitely the way to go. Unless you find a good deal on Kooks, ARH, etc in the classifieds.
yup, as i said and have said many times my KOOKS are about 7 yrs old and they look great. id only get stainless.