Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnaflow fitment issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 02:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Magnaflow fitment issues

I recently purchased a Magnaflow catback and there are two problems with the fit. First, the driver's side hanger to use the rubber grommet from the factory is so far off it is useless. The 2nd problem is that the over-axle pipe keeps contacting the upper panhard bar causing rattle. I can live with the hanger since it has the new tail pipe hangers, but any ideas on how to increase the clearance on the over-axle pipe?
Old 05-07-2012, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

I think pics would help us to see what you are doing wrong, Ive installed one twice and there is a decent amount of adjust-ability. I would guess you need to get more pipe into the slip joint on the over axle and I pipe connection.

What are you running this with, stock manifolds and y? or do you have longtubes?
Old 05-07-2012, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, that hanger on the driver side is a POS, on mine I had to cut it shorter and bend it to get it to line up. As far as hitting the panhard brace, I had that issue as well, but if you struggle with it long enough it'll eventually clear the brace. It's been a while since I installed my catback, but IIRC the problem is caused by too much overlapping of the pipes. Try pulling the over-axle pipe out of the I-pipe a little bit, and if that doesn't fix it then pull the I-pipe out of the Y-pipe a little.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:13 PM
Launching!

Thanks guys...stock manifolds and y-pipe. They do provide a lot of overlap, and I probably used all of it on both ends of the i-pipe. So I can pull the over-axle pipe out a little and try to get some clearance.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Latch
Yeah, that hanger on the driver side is a POS, on mine I had to cut it shorter and bend it to get it to line up. As far as hitting the panhard brace, I had that issue as well, but if you struggle with it long enough it'll eventually clear the brace. It's been a while since I installed my catback, but IIRC the problem is caused by too much overlapping of the pipes. Try pulling the over-axle pipe out of the I-pipe a little bit, and if that doesn't fix it then pull the I-pipe out of the Y-pipe a little.
Haha ya it might be in to far to didnt think of that. But just keep playing with fitment, it can get frustrating but youll get there.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There was a very good thread about this issue a short time ago.
If you do a search for "Magnaflow fitment", I'm sure it will show up.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just installed mine today, it fit perfect. No issues w/hangers or anything else.

After reading a few threads like this I was worried actually.

The driver's side OEM rubber hanger was a bit of a PITA at first, but I changed the order that I was installing things and it went right in.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

I personally had the same problems with my magnaflow I just ended selling it to me if it dnt fit the it dnt belong it was a huge let dwn I expect a lot more from a company like magnaflow but my buddy who bought he took it to muffler shop tweak it here and there modify it and it wrks I'm sure u can make it wrk there was a recent thread abt this read it
Old 05-07-2012, 08:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just installed mine tonight and fitment sucks!!! used the TSP y pipe and that was even worse. may have added to the issues though. I had to cut down my i-pipe to get it away from the panhard bar as it kept hitting it going over the axle. Now I have some serious vibration issues to find and work out when it light...
Old 05-07-2012, 09:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is the thread I mentioned....
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ucks-pics.html
There is just as much pro, as con.
I had some issues, although mine is true duals.
Nothing the exhaust shop couldn't iron out!

Quick Reply: Magnaflow fitment issues