Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls6 intake, hooker longtubes, tsp ory, magnaflow

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 07:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ls6 intake, hooker longtubes, tsp ory, magnaflow

So last week I installed a ls6 intake on my car and felt a huge difference. The car ran really strong and felt better than when I installed the 4:10's I couldn't keep first and second from spinning for as long as i kept my foot in it. Started Sunday with installing hookers long tube headers, Texas speed ory and magnaflow catback and now it feels no where at responsive or fast. It sure as help doesn't roast my tires like it used to. No check engine light as of now, any thoughts?
Old 05-08-2012, 07:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im not 100% sure, but you may need a tune at this point. Youre moving alot more air then you use to, so my guess is that its running a little lean, and a tune would help it out. Im sure more members will come in here with there thoughts.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

That was my thought but since I didn't pull any codes or check engine light from it being lean I wasn't sure.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

yeah thats why im not 100% sure either. My theory makes sense, but im not a tuner so.....good luck, i will keep checking in to see what members say about this.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just recently also had an LS6 intake insalled along with some Edelbrock stepped LT's, and TSP ORY. AFAIK, the car is still on a stock tune although I do have a feeling my car was at one point de-modded before the previously owner traded it in so I cannot be 100% sure.

After having the above mods installed, my car pulls like a damn freight train after I hit about 4K rpms. The issue with mine is, it actually feels much slower/less responsive at lower rpms which to me says, I probably do in fact need at least a mail order tune. I spoke with speed inc and they seemed willing to cut me a deal for a dyno tune, but with heads/cam planned in the near future, I'm not sure I want to part with that cash right now. I'd suggest you install the bolt ons and see how the car feels. You can decide weather to tune it afterwards. Your service engine light should eventually come on however.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

If I have it dyno tuned each Vista is only dyno time after the first visit so after I install a cam etc its about 100-150 for each tune after. Right now it it runs good but not as good when it had full stock exhaust.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Visit*
Old 05-08-2012, 11:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

you could always call the shop that you would take you car to be tune at. They may have some insight if no one else comes in here with their .02 .
Old 05-08-2012, 06:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

okay so I stopped by my cousins work to put this thing on a lift and have a look at whats going on( vibration from exhaust on the frame somewhere) and where it was hitting. Turns out all 3 of my mounts are bad and everything is sagging causing the headers to lay on the k member. After talking with him for a minute he tells me that the vibration will cause the knock sensors to pull lots of timing and is the cause of my power loss or no increase. so as a temporary "fix" to test this it now runs night and day better. It will spin through 1st 2nd and into 3rd a ways before catching traction. :-)
Old 05-09-2012, 06:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dans94z28
okay so I stopped by my cousins work to put this thing on a lift and have a look at whats going on( vibration from exhaust on the frame somewhere) and where it was hitting. Turns out all 3 of my mounts are bad and everything is sagging causing the headers to lay on the k member. After talking with him for a minute he tells me that the vibration will cause the knock sensors to pull lots of timing and is the cause of my power loss or no increase. so as a temporary "fix" to test this it now runs night and day better. It will spin through 1st 2nd and into 3rd a ways before catching traction. :-)
well that makes sense. Good to hear that all is well with it now. Now go shred some tires!!!!
Old 05-10-2012, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

tune will help with your mpg also, mine was drinking gas like an irishman till i got it tuned after the header install.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

I definitely want to get it tuned, just a matter of when. I'm very hesitant on any mail order tunes and cant see them being as good as a dyno tune by a good local shop. will cost me more but could be worth it though. any thoughts on this?

On a different note, its track time tomorrow night and will have some new numbers. very curious to see what new numbers and MPH are
Old 05-10-2012, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Very nice man. You're pretty much ready for a cam now that you have the bolt ons to let it breath well.