Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Im running out of ideas, Getting Desperate here

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Im running out of ideas, Getting Desperate here

The PROBLEM is that I have to crank the car at least twice to get it to run almost always the second time after cycling the key it works

Ok so ill try to be as brief as possible

One day I ran out of gas, had to get some gas on it to start and it hesitate but started, after running it for an 1 hour car began to misfire bad

So I said well ill just buy a fuel pump so I bought a racetronix, installed car still misfired and now I had to crank the car twice, got tired of this and bought a brand new delphi module with pump

I installed the brand new factory pump it was hard to start and it started, after sitting for around 3 hours tried to start the car and had to crank twice again

So this is all I have done

Change plugs to NGK TR55's gapped at .55
New Wires
New Fuel Filter
New Delphi Assmebly (the whole bucket and pump)

Not sure whats going on I guess I have to get a fuel pressure gauge and see

UPDATE: I posted video of starting issue and a picture of fuel pressure gauge on off position it jumped to 60 than began to drop slowly it was around 51 before i took it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOVlt...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by needtransam; 05-15-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Injectors?
Old 05-15-2012, 02:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like some blockage in the fuel system somewhere, or low voltage to the fuel pump. check your relays.

did you drop the tank or cut the hole in the deck?
check for kinked hoses, bad gas?
Old 05-15-2012, 02:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Put a gauge on it and see what's happening.

My guess? That new module has a slightly malfunctioning return valve. My truck is having the same problem, it will not prime the first try because pressure bleeds off too quickly after priming but cycling the key will get enough pressure at the rail the pcm will let it start. It runs but has low pressure (~50lbs instead of 58-60).
Old 05-15-2012, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
Injectors?
was thinking injector but I did take them out and cleaned them with a machine and that took care of the original misfire

Originally Posted by jasongantt
sounds like some blockage in the fuel system somewhere, or low voltage to the fuel pump. check your relays.

did you drop the tank or cut the hole in the deck?
check for kinked hoses, bad gas?

I did the trap door method and could the relays be bad? good call ill check and as far as bad gas it could be but not really I mean I just added like to fuel additives and 91 gas after installing the racetronix the first time

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Put a gauge on it and see what's happening.

My guess? That new module has a slightly malfunctioning return valve. My truck is having the same problem, it will not prime the first try because pressure bleeds off too quickly after priming but cycling the key will get enough pressure at the rail the pcm will let it start. It runs but has low pressure (~50lbs instead of 58-60).

but brand new having issues? wierd no?
Old 05-15-2012, 03:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by needtransam

but brand new having issues? wierd no?
If I had a dollar for every minute of my life I spent looking for a problem related to a "brand new" part I would have a ZR1.

The GM pumps are absolute dogshit in a lot of vehicles, so having one be extra shitty right out of the box wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Check fuel pressure and it will be a good indication as to the problem. If you have low pressure running and pressure falls rapidly as soon as you turn off the key you can be fairly certain the check valve is crap in the module. Whoever designed the damn thing needs an *** kicking.

If pressure is 58-62 and holds you will know to look elsewhere. You will need some help to see the gauge while someone else turns the key.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If I had a dollar for every minute of my life I spent looking for a problem related to a "brand new" part I would have a ZR1.

The GM pumps are absolute dogshit in a lot of vehicles, so having one be extra shitty right out of the box wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Check fuel pressure and it will be a good indication as to the problem. If you have low pressure running and pressure falls rapidly as soon as you turn off the key you can be fairly certain the check valve is crap in the module. Whoever designed the damn thing needs an *** kicking.

If pressure is 58-62 and holds you will know to look elsewhere. You will need some help to see the gauge while someone else turns the key.

but even the racetronix had problems starting too ??
Old 05-15-2012, 04:33 PM
12 Second Club

Check the hose that goes from pump to bucket. Sometimes if its not seated correctly or tight enough it'll cause weird fueling issues. If the pump, hoses & filter check out next is injectors/fuel rail.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:35 PM
11 Second Club

I'm not familiar with them. Does it replace only the pump of the whole assembly?

If it is an entire module like stock then you are right and chances are it is not an issue with the modules. I do not know what kind of regulator your car has but they can also cause a similar issue. If trash from the low tank made it to other fueling parts it could be causing problems.

Either way, checking fuel pressure is great place to start as it will let you see what kind of symptoms you have there and narrow down if it is for sure fuel related.

Good luck!
Old 05-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Teching In

Camshaft/Crankshaft Sensor problem? If both the fuel pumps equated the same problem, I'd look elsewhere. Is it throwing any codes at you?
Old 05-15-2012, 04:38 PM
12 Second Club

Either way, checking fuel pressure is great place to start as it will let you see what kind of symptoms you have there and narrow down if it is for sure fuel related.
Agreed. I chased a fueling problem & replaced everything I could except the pump cause it wasnt whining like is typical before I slapped a $50 gauge on my rail & noticed my pressure was only 10psi with the key turned to "on" & only 20 at idle. Well below stock requirement. Racetronix pump went in & its running strong now.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:41 PM
11 Second Club

Crank sensor problem will keep the car from starting but a cam sensor can make it hard to start.

I would expect a code if it is the cam sensor, but I believe you can also test the theory by just cranking longer than normal on the first key cycle and seeing if it fires off eventually. Someone please confirm if this is incorrect...

If it's the crank sensor the tach shouldn't move during cranking.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Crank sensor problem will keep the car from starting but a cam sensor can make it hard to start.

I would expect a code if it is the cam sensor, but I believe you can also test the theory by just cranking longer than normal on the first key cycle and seeing if it fires off eventually. Someone please confirm if this is incorrect...

If it's the crank sensor the tach shouldn't move during cranking.

good theory since i just cranked for 2-3 seconds let it build pressure again than crank it again and it starts but hesitates ill try posting a video
Old 05-15-2012, 11:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bump to the top
Old 05-16-2012, 12:25 AM
Launching!

Mine does the same thing. But when I had someone crank it and I saw that one of the rods that connects to the bucket shot out fuel in a weird way I knew that was the problem becasue it would never hold pressure. In fact it takes me several cranks to start mine and it starts once fuel pressure has exceeded 30psi
Old 05-16-2012, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shaulinmathvader
Mine does the same thing. But when I had someone crank it and I saw that one of the rods that connects to the bucket shot out fuel in a weird way I knew that was the problem becasue it would never hold pressure. In fact it takes me several cranks to start mine and it starts once fuel pressure has exceeded 30psi

what rods?
Old 05-16-2012, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bump.....
Old 05-17-2012, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i took out the intake and injectors broke the OPSU lol dam $50 for a sensor sucks o well and know i have it out could I just hook up the rail to the fuel line and put the car in on position?
Old 05-17-2012, 10:45 AM
12 Second Club

Yea, if you wanna spray gas everywhere(if the injectors are outta the rail anyway). I'm still not uderstanding why you dont just spend $30 and mount a fuel pressure gauge on the rail & be done with it. Then you can always check pressure at the rail, its a good investment.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i did check the fuel pressure look at my picture above and no injectors are on the rail what i meant is that won't it hold the pressure???

Also does anyone have the part number for the o rings? I found this on amazon

According to amazon it doesn't fit
http://www.amazon.com/Delphi-FH10108...1&sr=8-1-spell

According to amazon this fit

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-217-33...7270337&sr=1-1