Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

descreening a maf?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default descreening a maf?

I have heard a lot abt descreening the maf so there's less restrictions for the air but others say that with the screen the maf can graph the air better and there's less turbulanxe so idk if I should descreen my maf or not
Old 05-20-2012, 12:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nobody knows for sure until they do it. So find yourself
a junk stocker and pop the screen off that, and swap to
the known good piece, and see for yourself if anything
bad happens. If it's an A4 pay attention to shift feel,
which could indicate an error that has consequences.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The screen directs the air in a more straight pattern thru the MAF sensor and this allows for a more accurate reading from the unit. Increased output per descreening the MAF is a myth and even if it does result in a fraction of a horsepower or even a couple horsepower in your typical stock, bolt-on or heads/cam LS1, is that really even worth causing the sensor to be less accurate? The correct answer should be, NO.

IMO if someone is so concerned/worried about possibly gaining 1 or 2 horsepower then should just take on another hobby besides modding their car.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
The screen directs the air in a more straight pattern thru the MAF sensor and this allows for a more accurate reading from the unit. Increased output per descreening the MAF is a myth and even if it does result in a fraction of a horsepower or even a couple horsepower in your typical stock, bolt-on or heads/cam LS1, is that really even worth causing the sensor to be less accurate? The correct answer should be, NO.

IMO if someone is so concerned/worried about possibly gaining 1 or 2 horsepower then should just take on another hobby besides modding their car.
Thanks that makes sense and everyone has opinions but that makes sense
Old 05-20-2012, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have read a couple times that if you're running a dry shot of nitrous it's alright to descreen the MAF, but other than that I have never heard of any real beneficial gains from doing this. Also, I've seen people sometimes get random stuff stuck in the screen as well, so I think of that as a benefit of just leaving it alone.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The screen is a serious restriction, by my measurements
it was the same as the stock lid (and everybody changes
that out, first thing). That's at less flow than the motor
can pull, and the screen is nonlinear for drag. That's its
real function, the little channels go turbulent and force
the air to redistribute more evenly. The cost of that
accuracy / consistency improvement is pressure @ flow.

It's not a myth. Pressure drop equals lost TQ/HP. No
way around that.

But if you're not prepared to determine what changes
besides raw air pressure drop come from doing it, and
fix anything you don't like, the safe bet is to do nothing.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've seen a few aftermarket 102 MAF's that don't come with screens.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:15 PM
On The Tree

My current t/a has no screen. My old one had a screen. No difference here, good or bad.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I went to install my SLP lid back when I first got the car, finding bits of leaves and pieces of lint stuck to the MAF screen convinced me leaving it in was a good idea.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ls1sickandtwisted
I have heard a lot abt descreening the maf so there's less restrictions for the air but others say that with the screen the maf can graph the air better and there's less turbulanxe so idk if I should descreen my maf or not
Search is your friend. There are several threads in here regarding the subject. The "jimmyblue" replies to your topic are right on the money, as always.

When searching pay close attention to the comments made by those who have measured the results w/ tuning software. Any comments made without having measured the results are simply opinions. Personally, I never use screened MAF's. Although, it's best, but not absolutely necessary to adjust the MAF table afterward
Old 05-21-2012, 05:17 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

It's been said many times here that the stock MAF is good for 450HP. I believe this.

I de-screened my MAF. Then I endured an always there stumble under part throttle acceleration. Getting a screen back in place cured it.

The purpose of the screen is to make the airflow hit the sensor wire straight and consistently. Without the screen, the air can be pretty turbulent at certain airflow and throttle openings causing the sensor readings to be inaccurate.

If you remove your screen and the engine runs great, bully for you, don't change a thing.

If you remove your screen and the engine develops minor running issues, put the screen back in.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive de screened mine and have had no issues what so ever. I didnt notice any difference but then again i wasnt expecting any real gains from it at the time i was running a dry system and was told it would be a bit better to de screen my MAF.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:19 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

De-screening a MAF for that mystery .00001 HP gain.....and possibly letting something big get into the motor that might get by the air filter and creating turbulence in the air going through the MAF which will decrease performance = not worth it.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS6427
De-screening a MAF for that mystery .00001 HP gain.....and possibly letting something big get into the motor that might get by the air filter and creating turbulence in the air going through the MAF which will decrease performance = not worth it.

Not worth it for you, it's all up to op to decide, I descreened mine, no difference
Old 05-21-2012, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

i descreened mine gained from 3-4.5k rpm range because it went lean 12.8-13.0 to around 13.5-13.8 range had to retune stock ish car just bolt ons no heads or cams or anything crazy
Old 05-21-2012, 08:23 PM
10 Second Club

when i got my JET aftermarket MAF it was descreened. when i put it on the car ran a little goofy at first but after 5 min it ran better. When i got it tunned it ran ALOT better
Old 05-21-2012, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing you should to to that screen is replace with a saxondale screen that is much less restrictive. There is no point to descreening it. The screen is there for a reason, to provide laminar airflow across the sensor and provide an accurate reading. When you remove it, you are letting more air in because the air is no longer laminar. Therefore your car runs leaner which equals more power. But after a little bit your O2 sensors compensate, and return the AFR back to what it was. So IMO, upgrade the screen and thats it. And the argument that the 100mm MAFs dont have a screen is irrelevant, I can pull up several accounts of them adding a screen because they had issues with the sensor reading properly
Old 05-21-2012, 11:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Why are some of you talking about the screen protecting from stuff getting into your engine? There should be absolutely nothing on the screen, because there should be an air filter in front of. The consequences are obvious... Debris entering your engine notwithstanding, the MAF screen has a purpose derived from countless hours of engineering. It isn't to be removed by backyard mechanics looking to gain more horsepower. You might enjoy some extra horsepower while airflow is misdirected around the sensor and your car goes lean...which then could proceed to blow your **** up.

Leave the screen alone.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:03 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I also found some bits of junk on my screen-and I always run the air filter.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:18 AM
TECH Junkie

I wonder how the LS3/LS7 card style MAF sensors have any chance of working properly without screens that so many claim are required...hmmm; all that crooked air & such, LOL.

Will say it once more, the MAF can be descreened. However, as with any engine mod, it's advised to have the equipment (tuning software) so that the change can be properly adjusted for in the tune. It's best to adjust the MAF table after removing the screen, but not always absolutely necessary. The car will idle leaner which may or may not cause issues.

I have never had an issue w/ a descreened MAF that couldn't be adjusted for in the MAF table.

Quick Reply: descreening a maf?