Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust cutout routed to driver side?

Old 05-27-2012, 11:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Exhaust cutout routed to driver side?

This may be a bit of an off-the-wall question,

but I'm getting a little tired of my exhaust cutout resonating the car like crazy all the while I can't even really hear the tone of the engine well, being as it is angled out the passenger side of the car.

My question is: anyone here have the cutout angled to the driver side with a section of piping actually travelling the length of the car to come out flush with the driver's side?

I figure it would take care of a lot of the droning and I'd be able to hear the exhaust note better, but I'm not sure how easy/difficult it'd be to actually do. :/

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:16 AM
11 Second Club

It would kill your ground clearance, not to mention it would look horrible. The car was built to have the exhaust run down the passenger side. There's a reason nobody has done this.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

A turn down pipe for the cut off would work.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MikeG
It would kill your ground clearance, not to mention it would look horrible. The car was built to have the exhaust run down the passenger side. There's a reason nobody has done this.

Ehh, I think I'll be the judge of looks on my own car.

Just trying to find out if it could be done. Ground clearance was one of my concerns, also trying to clear the driveshaft (which I imagine is where the ground clearance problem comes from.

It doesn't help that it's rather difficult to find a picture of a bone-stock exhaust for one of these cars. :/ Looks like I'll be crawling under the car soon...
Old 05-29-2012, 02:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your main speed bump would be the limited space above the drivers side of the rear axle. This is why you only see true duals ran under the axle, both down the passengers side over the axle or dumped.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bww3588
Your main speed bump would be the limited space above the drivers side of the rear axle. This is why you only see true duals ran under the axle, both down the passengers side over the axle or dumped.

I think I need to clarify:

I'm not looking to cross over the axle at all.

The cutout that is already on the car is on the passenger side (in the factory catback piping), positioned a bit ahead of the rear axle, pointed outwards to the passenger side of the car, angled 45 degrees toward the rear of the car (and I believe slightly angled towards the ground, so as to not blow exhaust right at the floorpan)

What I'm trying to consider is rotating the cutout orientation so that it is pointed towards the drivers side of the vehicle rather than the passenger side, and then running a section of piping from the cutout all the way towards the driver side and possibly bringing it out to something like a Nascar-style boomtube tip that would be flush with the body.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:40 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MrBluGruv
I think I need to clarify:

I'm not looking to cross over the axle at all.

The cutout that is already on the car is on the passenger side (in the factory catback piping), positioned a bit ahead of the rear axle, pointed outwards to the passenger side of the car, angled 45 degrees toward the rear of the car (and I believe slightly angled towards the ground, so as to not blow exhaust right at the floorpan)

What I'm trying to consider is rotating the cutout orientation so that it is pointed towards the drivers side of the vehicle rather than the passenger side, and then running a section of piping from the cutout all the way towards the driver side and possibly bringing it out to something like a Nascar-style boomtube tip that would be flush with the body.
to allow for full travel of the rear axle the pipe will need to sit way below the torque arm. i would imagine this being close to scraping the ground.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

no space and that would look like **** and out of place
Old 05-29-2012, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

Still not looking for opinions on aesthetics...

But it sounds like there is no way I can negotiate the piping around the rest of the underbody properly. I guess this is a dead idea now.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hard to explain but have the cutout moved to where the intermediate starts to turn up, over the axle. ...so that when its opened up, it points straight back. No drone and you may get a half inch or so of clearance back
Old 05-30-2012, 08:16 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by VinR1
Hard to explain but have the cutout moved to where the intermediate starts to turn up, over the axle. ...so that when its opened up, it points straight back. No drone and you may get a half inch or so of clearance back
thats a good idea but makes me think it will rasp and disturb flow even more than normal

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust cutout routed to driver side?