Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 07:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default MAF problem

Got a ms3 cam installed and put in along with all the supporting mods and having a little problem when under hard acceleration. I've only gotten on the car really hard twice and both times the service engine light comes on and the car like stumbles and misses and then it won't hold an idle until I get somewhere and shut it off for a bit. Then I start the car and it drives fine after that. I have been told it may be a MAF problem I was just wondering of anyone else has had a similar issue. I am not sure where to start. I only got a TSP mail order tune on it right now temporarily and the car drives just great in slow traffic and when just cruising its only when I lay the hammer down it wants to do this.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well obviously you need to get it tuned properly....would have thought this was a logical decision when a cam swaps been done.
I'm amazed at how many on here think they can swap cams and only run a mail order tune.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ls1 1990 VN
Well obviously you need to get it tuned properly....would have thought this was a logical decision when a cam swaps been done.
I'm amazed at how many on here think they can swap cams and only run a mail order tune.
Thanks for the smart *** response...that doesnt help me out at all you idiot I know it needs to be dyno tuned by a good tuner but this seems like more of a mechanical problem to me.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you every checked the service engine light to see which code it's throwing? if the lights coming on then it's throwing some sort of code. any auto parts store should have a code reader you can borrow to diagnose the problem.
Also stock injectors? could be running out of fuel up top when at wide open throttle.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:00 PM
LCW
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well considering it is a Texas Speed cam and a Texas Speed tune. Even if it is mail order it should be close, if you gave them all the info on your car. Yes every car is different, but it should be close. I'm not expert, but you need to find someone who can scan it. Have you tried cleaning your MAF? Electrical contact cleaner is good stuff for MAFs. I would try that, then if it persists to act up find someone who can scan and tune. You don't have to have it dyno tuned either. You can have it tuned on the street like my car. Oh, my car has a custom grind bigger than the MS3. Hope you get it fixed.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cstone812
Thanks for the smart *** response...that doesnt help me out at all you idiot I know it needs to be dyno tuned by a good tuner but this seems like more of a mechanical problem to me.
Call me as many names as you like bud, I gave you the best advise possible.
You wish to go chasing your tail, by all means go ahead.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:05 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have the codes scanned. If you have stock injectors, I wouldnt advise going wot anymore as if you are running out of fuel, your going to have a hole in the piston very soon.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:07 AM
LCW
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1 1990 VN
Call me as many names as you like bud, I gave you the best advise possible.
You wish to go chasing your tail, by all means go ahead.
Okay? Just because it isn't a dyno tune means it isn't even close to what it should be? Good advice... I think Texas Speed knows what they are doing with a tune when it is one of THEIR cams, even if it is mail order... My car is street tuned with a cam bigger than the MS3, and it runs great. Dyno tunes aren't **** unless your tuner knows what he is doing. I have heard of plenty cars letting go on a dyno, because they weren't tuned correctly.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds more like a fuel issue. A MAF issue would be present everywhere. Sounds like you are running out of fuel either by way of your pump or injectors