Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

melted tail light fuse

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 08:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default melted tail light fuse

Here's the problem, I got in my camaro last night and my gauge cluster lights didn't work or my brake lights. This afternoon I checked my fuse and it was melted. The fuse prongs were stuck in the fuse block and the yellow plastic fell out in my driveway. I understand what caused it to melt (prolonged heat without blowing the fuse) but where do I need to start looking for bald wires, bad grounds or anything else. Any help would be great as I'm trying to sale the car and really don't want a fire starting......btw this car is a 2000 v6.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

Same problem here. Where do we start?
Old 01-13-2013, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

I am having the same problem. Ever figure it out?
Old 01-14-2013, 12:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Tail Light Sockets go bad and the wiring inside makes contact..couple of mine did this..I would check into that.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by the_merv
Tail Light Sockets go bad and the wiring inside makes contact..couple of mine did this..I would check into that.
^ This, and with mine water got in mine, corroded the socket and melted the fuse. just pull each bulb out one by one and inspect the socket for wear, or melted parts. not the best design from GM
Old 01-22-2013, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

get the hell out of here, i was having trans issues tonight(which i think was just low fluid and a dirty maf) and well on the highway testing it out, car now seems to be back to driving normal. So much so that i punch the gas, trans and everything didnt skip a beat and then bam i hear a pop and my lights are out... No problem,get home put a new fuse in and all seems to be ok till i turn on the parking light switch, pop goes the fuse.. So there is a short somewhere and by the looks so far its the tail light sockets shorted or i have see others with issues with shorted dimmer switch/switch that controls the parking lights as they are one unit... Just great, think i fixed my shitty shifting trans and now this crap.

Quick Reply: melted tail light fuse