Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help choosing a muffler and exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 11:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help choosing a muffler and exhaust

Hey all,

I've been away from these boards for quite some time. I used to have have a '94 Firebird 3.4 v6. I had to get rid of it awhile ago, but I'm glad to say that I'm back and I've upgraded a bit to a 2000 WS6 TransAm. I got a nice deal on the car, but it does need a few things.

The muffler in the back has a rusthole in it and the bolts of the heat shield are completely rusted through. So the shield is just dangling there. I took the car to a shop, and the mechanic said I'd at least need a new muffler and a new Y pipe in the coming months. I had a Texas Speed Rumbler system on my old v6. Though I loved how mean it sounded, I'm looking for something a little less whiny and obnoxiously loud sounding and something with more of a growl.

So I guess my questions are -
1. I'm looking at this muffler here. Would this be the correct one I need to keep my true dual output? I've seen a clip with just this muffler installed and it sounded nice. Anyone have experience with it? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-12267/

2. Exactly what all do I NEED to purchase. Do I need to purchase a complete setup (without headers because I can't afford those right now) and spend around $450? Or am I able to just purchase a muffler and a Y pipe, use my current tips and call it a day? I'm still fairly new to LS1's and exhaust, so forgive the questions. I just want to make sure I order all the necessary parts.

I appreciate all your suggestions. If anyone can estimate a price range - I'd be grateful also! Thanks.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:04 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Cheapest option, and prob the best to get you by....

Order any bullet muffler of your choice and have it welded in right after your I-pipe comes over the axle. You won't have tips for the time being, but it will allow you to have a decent sounding exhaust while you're amassing funds and deciding on a good catback.

I just saw a Magnaflow catback complete on here for about 250. That's another option.