Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shaving truck intake-Relocate Map sensor and PCV??

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shaving truck intake-Relocate Map sensor and PCV??

Got some time to get back to work on my shaved truck intake. Grind down the top of the intake with a roloc disc to get it all somewhat leveled.

Name:  DSC01176.jpg
Views: 18121
Size:  155.8 KB

Would love to shave everything off the top except the throttle cable bracket mounting points in the front.

Thinking about relocating the PCV port that's there on the top middle area of the intake somewhere here.

Name:  Untitled-2fd.png
Views: 13749
Size:  753.1 KB

And drill a hole somewhere back here for the map sensor maybe. Similar to LS6 intake, how its in the back etc.

Name:  Untitledf.png
Views: 12338
Size:  766.7 KB

I like the way this person relocated the PCV port here but I'm not sure who did this intake. Just came across the pic.

Name:  Untitled-14g.png
Views: 12226
Size:  711.0 KB

Thoughts? Someone a little more familiar with intakes or this truck intake in particular think I will be fine doing the following?

I would opt for a LS1 intake until I find a nice deal on a LS6 intake. But I don't see paying money for a LS1 intake to Lose power on the 5.3L

Old 06-14-2012, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I,d agree with the relocation points for map & pcv. Fyi ,recently stopped by a harbor freight store, they now have an all electric hot air plastic welder with adjustable heat control.I,m sure it's not as good as my steinel, but it,s not $300 either. I think a little spent on plastic welding equipment & skill is a good investment considering how many things are plastic now.
If you can't do what you want, you could make a top cover from fiberglass or metal. If you do that, you could make it to extend up to or even over the throttle body , possibly similar to the ring brother's razor camaro.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:13 AM
TECH Addict

Aren't you going to use a catch can? That one in the picture is nice, but why not "T" it into the MAP bung if you're trying to hide it?
Old 06-15-2012, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can't remember how the catch can hose routing works exactly. I remember I found a thread on here where someone posted different blue print variations on how to setup a catch can.

Dose the catch can completely bypass that PCV port on the top? No lines need to be feeded to it correct? So I could basically shave that off the top of the intake and NOT need to relocate it?
Old 06-15-2012, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

The PCV system is needed to vent combustion gasses that get past the rings. It is a closed loop system. The gasses go right back into the engine via the intake manifold, but there is a problem with it. Not only do the gasses get pulled into the engine via intake vacuum, but along with that is oil mist. You don't want to coat the inside of your nice intake with a thick, gooey layer of oil mist do you? Of course you don't. That's where a catch can comes in handy. It "catches" the oil mist, but it passes the vapors or gasses exiting the crankcase straight on through to the intake manifold minus the oil mist. You can get an expensive dedicated catch can for around $100.00 OR you can visit Harbor Freight and buy a water separator(used on air compressors) for $7. They work on oil just as good as they do on water. You have to remove the little filter inside because the filter will eventually get clogged shut with oil. I install mine about in the middle of the hose that runs from the PCV valve to the inlet bung on the intake manifold. You'll need a couple of threaded hose barbs to connect the mini catch can to the hose and a few hose clamps. That's it. Total cost is under $10. You have to empty the can once in a while. The ones I have are see through so when I fill my tank with gas I empty the catch can into the oil filler neck. You don't have to empty is very often
Old 06-16-2012, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl.../photo_03.html
Old 06-18-2012, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks fellas. But this project is scrapped.

Just got a LS6 intake. I'm still kinda interested in finishing it though but not sure what I would do with it. Not really a market for the truck intake.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BOXCHEV
Thanks fellas. But this project is scrapped.

Just got a LS6 intake. I'm still kinda interested in finishing it though but not sure what I would do with it. Not really a market for the truck intake.
Thats too bad, you had a good start on it . Was looking forward to seeing it as a finished result. Not questioning your decision to go LS6, but its not going to make more power ,marginal at best.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm doing it mostly so that I can already have it done. The motor is not even in the car yet and I still have to go over the harness a little more. Now that I have a ls6 intake I can mate the engine and trans together. Route the harness and tuck it away how I want and set it up for correct injector connectors from truck harness etc. etc.

Its just a stock 5.3 at the moment, but might heads and cam it later or pull it out and drop in a built 6.0. Just doing it once and not have to worry about it later that's all.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BOXCHEV
I'm doing it mostly so that I can already have it done. The motor is not even in the car yet and I still have to go over the harness a little more. Now that I have a ls6 intake I can mate the engine and trans together. Route the harness and tuck it away how I want and set it up for correct injector connectors from truck harness etc. etc.

Its just a stock 5.3 at the moment, but might heads and cam it later or pull it out and drop in a built 6.0. Just doing it once and not have to worry about it later that's all.
Well ,I know you went Thu a lot of hassle trying to get a 6.0 , but that 5.3 will get the job done it should turn out nice when its all done. . I'm thinking about using a Gen IV 5.3 in my next project. You cant go wrong with that LS6 ,but was hoping to see a smooth truck intake in that shoebox with all that hood clearance that you have.Keep it don't pitch or I will take off your hands if you don't want it.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i run my lines from my pcv and the passenger valve cover to a catch with a breather thats vented to the atmosphere.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm putting a speed master fabricated aluminum ram air intake on my 03 Tahoe and wanting to know where I put the map sensor and pcv on it. But has a bunch of vacuum Portsmouth the bottom of the intake but I don't have anything to go into it I need help bad. Or should I say **** it and put the stock intake back on. Just trying to get more power out of it and make it look better

Quick Reply: Shaving truck intake-Relocate Map sensor and PCV??