Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another O2s issue...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 08:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default another O2s issue...

So after my LS6 intake install i went with new plugs, O2s and wires. my previous O2s were toasted and threw codes. i went with densos. they worked great till yesterday. driver side O2 was throwing a code, after inspection i found 2 of the 4 wires were cut!! it was tucked in away from the long tubes but still cut!! ive only done less than 3-5k miles on them!! so i disconnected both of them till i solve the issue. my question is will soldering the wires back together work? or should i buy one O2 replacement? thanks
Old 07-01-2012, 04:13 AM
TECH Addict

anyone?
Old 07-01-2012, 07:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Soldering will work if done properly, crimp splices will not. Make sure and use heat-shrink tubing to ensure the soldered joints stay clean.

How did the wires get cut?
Old 07-01-2012, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by crainholio
Soldering will work if done properly, crimp splices will not. Make sure and use heat-shrink tubing to ensure the soldered joints stay clean.

O2s were throwing a code, i took a look under there to see if everything is plugged properly..the moment i touched the O2 extensions the O2 sensor wires near the sensor end got cut they were VERY dry..its weird how that happens even if they are pretty far from the long tubes..the passenger side on the other hand still feels like new..ill try to solder them and see if that would help.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by crainholio

Actually you have this backwards.

You must crimp any connections on the o2 sensors, for two reasons. First, the wire is made of a metal you cannot solder to. I'm not sure if it's titanium or some high nickel alloy. Second, the o2 sensor actually breathes through the wires. It's where the Nernst cell gets it's sample air. If you managed to get it soldered and shrink wrapped, the cell would starve for external air and drift, or stop working altogether.

A good crimp provides both a strong mechanical and electrical connection if done with the correct pliers, as well as allows the air the o2 needs to function properly.

Of course the best way is to order a set of $29.99 Bosch 13111's from Amazon.

Edit: Good thread on this discussion.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...r-instead.html

Last edited by Monzsta; 07-01-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just buy a new one
Old 07-02-2012, 08:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Monzsta
Actually you have this backwards.

You must crimp any connections on the o2 sensors, for two reasons. First, the wire is made of a metal you cannot solder to. I'm not sure if it's titanium or some high nickel alloy. Second, the o2 sensor actually breathes through the wires. It's where the Nernst cell gets it's sample air. If you managed to get it soldered and shrink wrapped, the cell would starve for external air and drift, or stop working altogether.

A good crimp provides both a strong mechanical and electrical connection if done with the correct pliers, as well as allows the air the o2 needs to function properly.

Of course the best way is to order a set of $29.99 Bosch 13111's from Amazon.

Edit: Good thread on this discussion.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...r-instead.html

i never knew that!! lol thanks.!

Just buy a new one
i will probably do that eventually...its just that i live in middle east and it takes like 2 weeks to get here plus shipping charges..and the ones i have virtually new..also, i heard that driving on a disconnected O2 sensor ruins it so am trying to save the other one lol