Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vacuum pump questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 08:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Vacuum pump questions

I am picking up a GZ motorsports LS vacuum pump tomorrow and have a couple of questions about it

First is that I have fabbed valve cover with provisions for a vacuum pump, would it be better to pull the vacuum from the covers over somewhere else on the motor?

Would the valley cover be a better place to pull the vacuum? If so how would that would with the FAST 102 on top of it?
Old 07-05-2012, 09:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

IMO, valley cover. Get an LS6 valley cover or just tap a hole & put a fitting in your existing cover. Might be tricky to avoid interference w/ FAST, but should be able to come up w/ something. Although, in the valve covers isn't bad either. If not the valley cover, I would pull vacuum from each valve cover.

BTW, the ability to maintain vacuum @ WOT is worth a few ponies. Good choice.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:48 AM
10 Second Club

Well I am going to have to pull from just the passenger cover, to much of a pain in the a$$ to get the valley plumbed.

I mounted the pump on the driver side head and going to use the lower idler on the alternator bracket to mount the pully.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

take some pics please.. and how much did you pick it up for?
Old 07-07-2012, 07:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

is its going on a new engine ? I feel its best to break the engine first with out the vac pump connected .
Old 07-08-2012, 12:27 PM
10 Second Club

Ok let me explain that is you have the plans of installing the GZ pump on your F body and you have A/C it will NOT fit the pump hits the A/C dryer. I do not have power steering so that was the next ideal place to put the pump and that is where the pump ended up. All the supplied brackets still fit, just had to clearance the adjuster bracket slightly to clear electric water pump. If you set it up like I did you will need to get

(2) M16 washers to space the "supplied" pully to the old idler location
(1) M10 washer
(1) M10 by 50 bolt
Dayco belt for a mini cooper part number 5060548

this put a lot of tensinor close to the bottoming out point, i have 10% underdrive pully coming which should put the tensinor back in the proper area for travel.

My catch can is mounted to the bumper support using the factory hardware, no holes were drilled to mount it. The line from the catch can to the pump runs under the driver headlight to the can. The vacuum line follows the lower radiator support and comes up with the heater core lines to the front of the valve cover.

simple install after the fact i couldnt mount it where they say it mounts. Yes the pump is black, i painted the day I got it. was not a fan of the aluminum looking pump. 12-13 inch of vacuum at WOT right now which is about dead on where i want it.

Last edited by RsSean; 07-08-2012 at 12:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Vacuum pump questions