Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers, intake and disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 08:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers, intake and disappointed

I have done a lot of searching and reading on here over the past week hoping to find answers to things listed below. Hopefully some people on here can shed some light on my specific but not unique issues. I just installed/modified the following items on my car over the past few days:

PaceSetter Longtubes (no AIR)
Texas Speed catted y pipe (used stainless band clamps all the way around for increased clearance over the stupid U-bolts and seal)
Austin Performance SSRA kit
AIR deleted
Rear O2 sensor deleted

What I have ordered:
Bosch 13111 rear vette O2 sensors
Frost Mail order tune

My disappointments/problems & lessons learned:
(Learned) #1: Don't be a cheap %$#@ and lengthen your o2 sensors. I should have bought the extensions for $30. I lengthened the sensors but fear I did a poor job and now went and ordered the Bosch sensors last night just to make sure my sensors don't cause problems. #2: U bolts suck (came with TSP y pipe) and I had to spend the $40 to get the stainless band clamps. They really helped eliminate floor board banging, leaks, tightened up the system, look nicer and give more ground clearance.

(Disappointed) I ran the headers and y pipe into the stock exhaust. Needless to say I was less than impressed with the change in exhaust volume. It is deeper, but barely louder. I am also less than impressed with the increased power. I really can't tell a difference.

(Problem) I dare say that some of my disappointments are attributed to my current problems and lessons learned. Lol.
When I am at WOT I get lots of what seems like hesitation.
I don't know what a misfire would feel like so I don't know if it is that. It gets worse with speed increasing. Could this be due to the increased airflow and not enough fuel????? Or perhaps my crappy O2 sensor splicing??? I am hoping that either the Frost tune or Bosch sensors will fix this. The computer goes out tomorrow so hopefully it will be back end of week.

Other than the above items I have a pretty much stock 2001 WS6 (M6). Suggestions or words of wisdom. Thanks
Old 07-08-2012, 08:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

if everything is ok a dyno tune will make you happy.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:31 PM
Teching In

LOL. A dyno tune would be great but i am already over budget on this whole thing. haha.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FastWS6TA
(Problem) I dare say that some of my disappointments are attributed to my current problems and lessons learned. Lol.
When I am at WOT I get lots of what seems like hesitation.
I don't know what a misfire would feel like so I don't know if it is that. It gets worse with speed increasing. Could this be due to the increased airflow and not enough fuel????? Or perhaps my crappy O2 sensor splicing??? I am hoping that either the Frost tune or Bosch sensors will fix this. The computer goes out tomorrow so hopefully it will be back end of week.
Honestly, there hasn't been a single mod I've done where I could honestly feel the car was faster. Didn't feel it with the lid, the Magnaflow, the cutout, or the headers. So I wouldn't worry about it.

As far as misfiring goes, your car is in open loop at WOT, so 02 sensors have no impact on that. If your car drives fine at part throttle and the gas mileage hasn't gone to complete ****, the 02s are doing their job. If your car was misfiring you would absolutely know... the car will basically be undriveable, and the SES light will flash. I know because I also spliced my stock 02s, and unfortunantly when they get wet, the car misfires. When they're dry though they work fine.
TECH Junkie

the choice of using stock exhaust...well, i could've told you that. a friend did the same thing. the cats aren't helping sound, either.

the first fbod i did exhaust on seemed slow(er) than stock, as well. as it turns out, the car picked up 8 mph in the 1/4...my butt dyno was just that far off. i got the car street tuned and it picked up another 3. pretty sure the o2s are ignored at wot.
TECH Enthusiast

a tune will help a lot going from stock manifolds and y pipe to lt headers and and a catted y pipe
Old 07-08-2012, 09:55 PM
Launching!

Your car is inhaling well with the SSRA & stock LS6 intake manifold. Then it's exhaling well with the headers & y-pipe. Then it's hitting a bottleneck with the stock catback exhaust. A bone stock car can gain 10-15 HP with a catback exhaust. I bet your setup would gain around 15-20 HP with a free flowing catback.
Also, some cars perform well after installing headers & running without a tune. Other cars run poorly. It seems to be somewhat hit or miss. Hopefully the Frost mail-order tune will wake it up.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:58 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the quick responses. Much appreciated. I havent driven the car enough to notice fuel consumption so I can't use that to trouble shoot unfortunately. The PCM is boxed up and headed out in the morning. Hopefully all is fine once that gets tuned up. Oh ya, I also ported and polished out the throttle body a few months ago. The stock exhaust wouldn't create the hesitation problem would it??
Old 07-08-2012, 11:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Imo, skip changing the stock catback unless you dont like the sound and get an electric cutout more power and cheaper than an aftermarket catback.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:14 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't understand how people can say that the oem catback is so restrictive, it's actually a decent design and I believe it is 2.75" diameter which is fine for a bolt on fbody.

Replace the factory muffler (I think that this is the main restriction/volume killer) with a Magnaflow welded to the factory tips and I think you will be quite pleased for the money spent.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its more restrictive than you think, thats the same attitude guys that dont have duals have. To put it into perspective ive seen a TR220 cammed car pick up almost 20 by changing the tailpipes.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:52 AM
TECH Regular

I agree with others, I would Definitely work on that exhaust from the headers back. I went the reverse of what you did, started with a full true dual exhaust, and much later added headers, lid, and CAI. The car was already dyno tuned awhile back for deleted cats, and it was a very noticeable boost in power. that or not driving it and just driving my wife's car for a few days fooled me a bit, but it definitely seems to pick up a lot better now, especially on the interstate... unfortunately a state trooper noticed that for me too.. 85 coming uphill on a short on-ramp lol.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Any time you change major items like that you should have budgeted for a tune also, you're flowing alot more air now which will require alot more fuel. Tune the car and see what happens. Even a good mail order tune should help.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Tune will help a lot once you get the PCM back you should tell a difference, Frost does good work.

Ditch the stock exhaust for some duals or at least a decent y pipe setup and you will be more impressed. The stock system isn't very good at all.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:36 PM
Launching!

Why spend all that money on a nice exhaust setup and run it all out through a stock catback. Save another 350 bucks and get yourself a magnaflow. Not only will the sound be worth it but you will feel the full effects of the entire exhaust upgrade as well.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get stainless magnaflow for pretty cheap usually...

If you are over budget... For the time being opt for a manual cutout... 30$, have someone weld it, probably 25$ or so. Problem solved on the power..
Old 07-09-2012, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm running Stainless Works long tube headers into a catless Texas Speed true dual exhaust setup, dumped at the rear axle and I can tell a huge difference in sound and performance. I haven't even tuned the car yet, as I'm waiting to do the tune once heads and cam are installed. I agree with others. Ditch the stock catback and upgrade to an aftermarket catback or even better yet, a dual exhaust from Texas Speed.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

For those that think the stock cat back is not a bottleneck should install a cutout. Then go make 2 passes down the strip one with cutout closed and one with cutout open. Then you will understand. Or make 2 pulls on the dyno the same way. You will easily pick up 10 rwhp peak and like 15-17 in other areas throughout the curve when opened. At the strip, you will easily see a tenth quicker open.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Once you get a catback...(duals are always my preference). The sound quality alone will give you a "feel" of 20+hp. If your modding your car, completing your FULL exhaust, then ditching the stocker exhaust is just a must.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:37 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys. I may just get an electric cutout for now. Going to go look up manga flow cost right now too. PCM went out to Frost this morning.