Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIR and EGR removal with cats

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 12:33 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down AIR and EGR removal with cats

Just starting off by saying i KNOW most of ya'll are going to say ditch the cats but THATS NOT AN OPTION. The guy doing my exhaust (for real cheap) wont do it without them..

So anyways I'm pretty sure the basic job of the AIR is to make the cats heat up and work properly at start up and I think the EGR helps to keep cats working as well.

But my question is: is it still fine to do the !AIR and !EGR while running cats on the car is it going to cause issues

Thanks in advance, Danno

PS: idk how that damn thumbs down got on my title lol
Old 07-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Launching!

Anyone???? Just curious if deleating air and egr will ruin the cats
Old 07-09-2012, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

No, EGR recirculates gasses to help with emissions and highway mpg's. The AiR system helps get the cats up to operating temp faster and only runs for the first few minutes the car is on.

Deleting both will not effect anything, and will throw SES lights. These can be turned off via HPtuners or EFIlive and have the readiness indicators set to where you will still pass your OBD2 inspections.

Stickies are your friend
Old 07-09-2012, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like was said, it wont hurt anything. After the cats are up to temp, the whole system becomes dead weight, and nothing more. Im running stock manifolds/cats with NO AIR or EGR, and no worries.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:03 PM
Launching!

yeah i know ill have to get them tuned out sothe SES light isnt glaring at me constantly just wanted to make sure it wouldnt shorten the life of the cats...
thanks
Old 07-10-2012, 04:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fst_Byrd
yeah i know ill have to get them tuned out sothe SES light isnt glaring at me constantly just wanted to make sure it wouldnt shorten the life of the cats...
thanks
Nope, has no effect on the cats. They just take a couple minutes longer to get up to temp, thats it.

Im sure my cats are hating me right now, I doubt the heat from 11.1:1 compression is good for them lol.