Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics of my used Vengace 'ported' FAST 92 I just bought...

Old 07-10-2012, 12:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pics of my used Vengace 'ported' FAST 92 I just bought...

Just bought a FAST intake tonight and ported LS2 throttle body. So I decide to take it part since it had a half quart of oil in it lol only to find the porting to be very minimal :/ not sure if this is just old technique or what, as I found on the bottom it says VRD '08.... Even where the manifold would flow into the head looks just roughed up some, doesnt seem 'ported'... Or is this what they look like?? U can see where the porting has collected oil n such. I'm proficient with porting, should I touch up any key areas? Any suggestions on what I should do with this before I install it? I'm going to re-paint it I can tell you that....
Help me out guys...

Old 07-10-2012, 02:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thats how every one Ive seen looks. They dont take them apart.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Normal Vengeance "porting". My friend (Sommer86) had a brand new 102 and one ported by Vengeance side by side, it literally looked like someone just took a sanding roll to the runners, I think there was something like .001 of an inch of material taken off compared to out of the box
Old 07-10-2012, 09:05 AM
FormerVendor

Im sorry to see that you seem dissapointed with your purchase... I would suggest installing the intake as is and dyno testing and/or track testing your vehicle. Then send the intake to the porter of your choice and have them remove as much material as possible and port every square inch of the intake manifold and then return it to you for dyno/track testing again.. I believe you will be surprised as to the results.....

FWIW, we sell ported 102s for $999.99 and the CHEAPEST you can find an unported 102mm intake is $849.00.. So we are collecting $150.00 for our port work.. I do not believe the "look" can be compared to other companies $500.00 + port jobs that have NOT been proven to outperform ours...
Old 07-10-2012, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine looked the same way, I just port matched everything to my heads over a weekend and sanded all the burnt on oil and casting marks off.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

FWIW a new 102 can easily be had for closer to $750
Old 07-10-2012, 02:47 PM
TECH Regular

just a question? shouldn't the manifold be as SMOOTH as possible? unlike the old carberator days where we ported to acheive a good air/fuel swirl because the fuel was introduced at the beginning of the intake tract, whereas with fuel injection the air/fuel mixes right before the intake valve opening. so therefore the intake should be smooth and not roughed up to increase airflow? correct? doesn't roughing up impede airflow? i see port matching,and smoothing casting lines,has any one introduced heat such as a heatgun to smooth the casting and sanding marks? just askin? the oldman.....
Old 07-10-2012, 10:46 PM
TECH Addict

I sanded mine down to 1000 grit...I don't know if it helped any but I'm **** like that and it's not my DD so I just took my time with it. I've heard even Mamo's port jobs are a rough surface, but I could be wrong.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron@Vengeance
Im sorry to see that you seem dissapointed with your purchase... I would suggest installing the intake as is and dyno testing and/or track testing your vehicle. Then send the intake to the porter of your choice and have them remove as much material as possible and port every square inch of the intake manifold and then return it to you for dyno/track testing again.. I believe you will be surprised as to the results.....

FWIW, we sell ported 102s for $999.99 and the CHEAPEST you can find an unported 102mm intake is $849.00.. So we are collecting $150.00 for our port work.. I do not believe the "look" can be compared to other companies $500.00 + port jobs that have NOT been proven to outperform ours...

So what gains is your porting over a none ported one?
I can see you want to say its NOT been proven to outperform a $500 port, How much DOSE your porting gain for $150?
Old 07-24-2012, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by studderin
I can see you want to say its NOT been proven to outperform a $500 port, How much DOSE your porting gain for $150?
My guess its not that much of a gain. But if their port work yields 15hp or more , that would be a good return bang for buck! Maybe they will post up dyno test results before and after.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^ would like to see a dyno of their port work as well.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by studderin
I can see you want to say its NOT been proven to outperform a $500 port, How much DOES your porting gain for $150?
Naw you wont see results from that...they always say it is comparable but i have yet to see a back to back dyno of a stock intake and then ported...
Old 07-24-2012, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by chrs1313
Naw you wont see results from that...they always say it is comparable but i have yet to see a back to back dyno of a stock intake and then ported...

I agree you won't. IMO its best for both if they don't. The reason is both companies will sell more intakes. You have the guys that have to have the "best" and will spend more money on a Mamofied intake. Then you have the guys that want it done but won't spend that much money.

It's like bread. You can have two loafs exactly the same but one with a higher price tag that people swear its better.

However, I highly doubt that Mamo would do such extensive porting on an intake that would yield little to no gains if he spent half the time on it. Horsepower costs money, after a certain point you have to spend twice the amount to get any noticeable gains.

As many years as tech has been here no one to my knowledge has taken dyno'd the two intakes back to back and I doubt we will see it happen.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

OP, that is pretty normal.
Originally Posted by LilJayV10
It's like bread. You can have two loafs exactly the same but one with a higher price tag that people swear its better.
Yeah, there is no way that a Vengeance ported 102 would be close to a Mamo 102, if the claims and evidence are correct. I was the one that helped Sommer86 check his Vengeance ported 102 vs. a stock 102 using a camera and a digital caliper so I know the results are accurate (we checked all of the ports on both manifolds about 3 times in a row just to be sure). The difference in wall thickness between stock and the Vengeance manifold was so minimal (0.4mm or less difference) that we doubted that it would do anything major except for helping with the fuel atomization due to the increased roughness on the runner walls. I mean, we aren't experts or anything, but the Vengeance ported manifold didn't look too impressive to our untrained eyes when compared back to back with a stock manifold. There was still LOTS of material left, and to the naked eye it looked like a stock manifold that had an expertly-handled piece of 250 grit sandpaper wiped through it, with a slightly larger throttle body neck ID. How it actually performs back to back vs. a stock one would be an interesting test, though from the looks of it there are no real gains to be had over a DIY porting/port matching job, let alone a stock one. Just my $0.02.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZexGX
OP, that is pretty normal.

The difference in wall thickness between stock and the Vengeance manifold was so minimal (0.4mm or less difference) that we doubted that it would do anything major except for helping with the fuel atomization due to the increased roughness on the runner walls.
Uhhhh, since when does fuel run through your FAST?

Originally Posted by FRiCK
So I decide to take it part since it had a half quart of oil in it lol only to find the porting to be very minimal
And why was there oil in it?
Old 07-26-2012, 12:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by usmcpi
Uhhhh, since when does fuel run through your FAST?
Yeah, it doesn't really. Sort of my point.

One of Sommer86's had gasoline in it... Your guess is as good as mine.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Like most, it was pulled through the PCV.

That's why Catch-Cans are so popular with the LS engines.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't see where anyone has mentioned the fact that a big part of that porting of these intakes is removing the huge wedge in the runners right before the ports.

Stock, notice the large ridge on the wall:

After I ported and blended the wall to remove that large piece:

Old 07-28-2012, 02:15 PM
Teching In

catch cans?? uh oh

Posted from LS1Tech.com App for Android
Old 07-29-2012, 01:17 AM
TECH Regular

thunderstuck, now that explains it to me. smoothing airflow,does an ls6 intake have those ridges also? i still think after the porting of the runners you could use a heat gun to smooth the polymer even further. i know where a truck intake is i think i'll try the heat thing on it and post results stay tuned... the oldman....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pics of my used Vengace 'ported' FAST 92 I just bought...