Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need O2 sims or can I delete rear codes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 09:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do I need O2 sims or can I delete rear codes?

Does deleting the rear O2 sensors cause any loss in performance or give your pcm false readings. I have the LG long tubes with off-road X-pipe. Let me know what you guys suggest.
Old 04-02-2004, 09:34 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best is to delete the rear O2's, but sims can be a temporary solution.
Old 04-02-2004, 09:41 AM
TECH Resident

Having no rear o2 sensors just throws codes, nothing more nothing less...mine threw 2 codes because I didnt hook my rear o2 sensors back up after my LT install (I even had to use a rear o2 sensor as a front one cuz one was permanently attached to the manifold). It should not affect your performance at all. If you ask me o2 sims are a waste of money. If you put LT's on your car then you are probably going to get tuned for mods down the road eventually and you can have the codes deleted, therefore making the o2 sims moot. I think its trivial to buy/install them if you plan on deleting the codes later.
Old 04-02-2004, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

i bought my headers used and the kid through the 02's in for free, so i just put them on? is there any dissadvantage to running them instead of having them taken out in a tune?
Old 04-02-2004, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01ws6transam
i bought my headers used and the kid through the 02's in for free, so i just put them on? is there any dissadvantage to running them instead of having them taken out in a tune?
Yeah, go ahead and put them on. There will be no difference in o2 sims versus having them deleted in a tune. The rear o2 sensors are only in place to ensure that the cats are doing their job. If they cant detect that your cats are working properly, then they throw a code. o2 simulators will simply trick the sensors into thinking the cats are working fine (whether you have cats or not) and so the code will never be thrown. If you have the codes deleted...then its basically just that: the code is no longer thrown. o2 sims, tuning delete, or just plain leaving the SES light will not affect your performance at all, they only affect whether or not you see an SES light.

EDIT: I see you have been tuned...if your codes were deleted in the tune, then sell the o2 sims and make yourself some money
Old 04-06-2004, 01:57 AM
Staging Lane

how do you delete the code and once you do delete it will it just come back if you
Old 04-06-2004, 02:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

I haven't had O2 simms for about a month now, no tune either. SES light yes, but I am getting a tune hopefully next week. And yes, they are a waste of money if you plan on getting a tune, which you should anyways when installing headers and an ORY.

You delete the code using LS1 Edit or other equivalent tuning program. It doesn't really delete the code, just kinda covers it up so you won't see it, as in the SES light, at least this is what I heard happens...