Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't like your LM1 or LM2? Consider this...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 07:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't like your LM1 or LM2? Consider this...

I recently put BBK headers, Y pipe, and SLP LM2 exhaust on my Camaro. I was greatly disappointed in the quality of the craftmanship from SLP, and didn't care for the raspy tone. I hoped the LM2 wouldn't live up to the LM1's name, however such wasn't the case.

I started thinking, perhaps I could fit some Flowmaster 10 series mufflers on here somewhere? Well, here's what I came up with. I welded everything up with the exception of where the SLP muffler used to be (I welded 18" of 3" pipe in place of the SLP muffler), as well as in between the two rear mufflers for adjustment purposes. Pictures will explain better. Overall, I believe this system sounds MUCH better than the LM2 did, plus it's much more solid. The passenger side muffler had to be welded slightly farther forward than the drivers side one, as a result of their being a bend in this pipe. As you can see from the picture, I salvaged the bend and placed it after the muffler to get the same tip orientation. You're probably asking yourself why didn't he weld the mufflers at the same angle? Well, unfortunately the space constraints at the rear of the car make it so this is the only angle that will work, so as to not touch anything (gas tank or body). I'm extremely happy with this setup over the LM2, and the parts from the LM2 made for a great donor.

What are everyone's thoughts?

Last edited by Dustin Raab; 07-15-2012 at 07:02 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 07-15-2012, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

Very interesting setup, I like it. Do you happen to have a sound clip?
Old 07-15-2012, 07:10 PM
Teching In

I do! Sorry, I thought in the original post the one from Photobucket would work, apparently not. I'll post one from YouTube instead.

http://youtu.be/SsjwsviBHtI
Old 07-15-2012, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good idea. I just dnt like how low that muffler hangs under the bumper... Great idea tho.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:19 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I had an idea exactly like this but with Borla stingers instead.

That idea PROMPTLY went out the window once I priced them.

Great job OP for daring to think outside the box. I like it. Any hint of rasp around 21-2300? I know even with my MagnaMouth there was still a hint of it.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:26 PM
Teching In

Thanks! Yes, there's still a hint. However, not NEARLY as bad as with the LM2 alone.

2win_SS, I agree with you. I could have installed them straight up and down, but that would have made them look even worse yet.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

Ah I see now, on the phone so it just looks like a regular pic. I think the clearance is pretty good unless you try to back up over a curb or something lol. Think I may give this a try sometime. How is the volume at cruise on the highway?
Old 07-15-2012, 07:30 PM
Teching In

It's not bad at all, you can definitely tell that the sound that is present is centralized much more to the rear of the car as opposed to right under the back seats, which seems to help with the drone. It's actually not bad at all, quieter at 70 mph than the LM2 was, and also quieter than when the car had just plain jane straight pipes with the OE manifolds and cats. When you open it up though, it definitely wakes up, but not obnoxiously.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

is it just me or does it sound like a v6 with exhaust to anyone else?
Old 07-15-2012, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

might just be the video quality
Old 07-15-2012, 07:37 PM
Teching In

Not sure how you get v6 out of that, but yes I apologize the quality is poor. All I have to record with is my cell phone.

I assure you, in real life it definitely does NOT sound like a v6, haha.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dustin Raab
2win_SS, I agree with you. I could have installed them straight up and down, but that would have made them look even worse yet.
^^^ I dnt mean any disrespect. Just giving my opinion.... You could have the mufflers flat like they should be if you get mufflers with offset inlet/outlet.... I'm not familiar with the 10 series. But I know other Flows come in a wide variety of inlet/outlet.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:26 PM
Teching In

None taken! My intention was to install them flat, however the space constraints on the rear of the car inbetween the gas tank and uni body don't permit placing them flat. No variation of inlet or outlet would have changed this, the muffler is the same width regardless. I could have probably done this same mod with a smaller chambered muffler like something from Spintech, however I already had these laying around.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice job. There's also bullet mufflers like these Borla xr-1 bullets. Very deep and still lloud with headers.
Attached Thumbnails Don't like your LM1 or LM2? Consider this...-wlk-24215.jpg  

Last edited by slammedc5; 07-16-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dustin Raab
None taken! My intention was to install them flat, however the space constraints on the rear of the car inbetween the gas tank and uni body don't permit placing them flat. No variation of inlet or outlet would have changed this, the muffler is the same width regardless. I could have probably done this same mod with a smaller chambered muffler like something from Spintech, however I already had these laying around.
^^^ I think on the driver side if you had a muffler with the inlet/outlet on the side instead if the center you can get these mufflers on flat. I can't upload pix from my phone or I would show u what I mean.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:19 PM
Teching In

You're probably right about the drivers side, but I wanted to keep it uniform, and like I said earlier, I already had these laying around.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:31 PM
Teching In

In case anyone is curious what this setup sounds like inside the car with the windows down, at about half to 3/4 throttle, here ya go. I was going to get on it but I saw the cops, so figured I'd better not. Be sure to watch in HD.

http://youtu.be/ct_aRh8itdo

Quick Reply: Don't like your LM1 or LM2? Consider this...