Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No cats or no muffler

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default No cats or no muffler

Which would make more power, 3" high flow cats through a LoudMouth or no cats through a Hooker catback? Assume about 425 rwhp. I suspect the cats will sound better because of less rasp, but that would probably be a little louder as well.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i kept my stock muffler

i run long tubes with an ORY(no cats) and a QTEC cutout
Old 04-03-2004, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i should be able to help a little bit here....as i've had all of the above lol
set ups in order
1. stock manifolds, ory, hooker catback....sounded great at wot, quiet at idle but deeper
2. stock manifolds, ory, loudmouth...sounds like ****, too much rasp.
3. stock manifolds, highflow cats, loudmouth, sounded better and it was nice and loud all the time
4. stock manifolds, highflow cats, hooker, quieter, more tone...all tone no drone, sounded great.
5. Pacesetter lt's, highflow cats, loudmouth...louder than all of these, but sounded better than number 2.
6. Pacesetter lt's, off road y pipe, loudmouth (just for ***** and giggles)....there is not a worst sounding exhaust period.
7. Pacesetter lt's, off road y pipe, hookercatback...probably the best sound i've had yet. deep yet quiet at idle still but more noticeable than before, and at WOT its flat out sick sounding, great tone, great bass in the exhaust, and no drone what so ever, no rasp either.
8. pacesetter lt's, off road y pipe, hookercatback and a cutout int he I pipe...exactly what i was looking for, and when i want i can make it quiet again.

so lol basically you can pick which one you wanna read and get an opinion on.
Old 04-04-2004, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

i also run FLP LT with NO CATS and a CUT-OUT with the stock SLP cat-back when i want to be stealthy.........i dynoed with the dyno open and closed and acctually gained 5 rwhp all across the rev range..... not bad for a bolt on car....un-tuned.
Old 04-04-2004, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by M6HuggerSS
i also run FLP LT with NO CATS and a CUT-OUT with the stock SLP cat-back when i want to be stealthy.........i dynoed with the dyno open and closed and acctually gained 5 rwhp all across the rev range..... not bad for a bolt on car....un-tuned.
thats cool, if i was you i would get it tuned. i have simialr bolt ons as you, and made the same power you are now before tuning. i brought it to eastside and they tuned me and i picked up 20 rwhp and like 21 rwtrq
Old 04-05-2004, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow! thats about what i was hoping to gain! hopfully soon!