Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open headers + flashing SES light?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Open headers + flashing SES light?

I installed my pacesetter headers this weekend and drove over to an exhaust shop that is currently fabricating my true dual system this morning. Well about halfway over there I noticed it was sputtering and missing around 2200 rpms on up to around 3000. It was also having a hard time finding it's idle. After that I started getting a flashing SES light. I've already had it tuned to not look for EGR, AIR and the rear o2's since I won't be installing cats. Why would the SES light be flashing? Did I foul up my plugs or fry my front o2 sensors? Any other suggestions would be helpful
Old 04-05-2004, 01:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheSloth
I installed my pacesetter headers this weekend and drove over to an exhaust shop that is currently fabricating my true dual system this morning. Well about halfway over there I noticed it was sputtering and missing around 2200 rpms on up to around 3000. It was also having a hard time finding it's idle. After that I started getting a flashing SES light. I've already had it tuned to not look for EGR, AIR and the rear o2's since I won't be installing cats. Why would the SES light be flashing? Did I foul up my plugs or fry my front o2 sensors? Any other suggestions would be helpful

The light is flashing because there is a misfire/s. Hence the sputtering, missing. What I can think of is the spark plug wire/s are not on well enough/pinched. Did you change plugs when you did the headers?
Old 04-05-2004, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you look in your owner's manual you'll see exactly what the flashing light means. have a look and then get under your car and check it over
Old 04-05-2004, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

I will check the plug wires and no I didn't change the plugs when I installed the headers but I recently put in NGK TR55s about 3000 miles ago...
Old 04-05-2004, 07:52 PM
TECH Regular

Most definitely a spark plug wire has come off. Running open headers I figure would allow a lot of movement that could lead to a plug wire being shook off.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

When I was working on my car (changing plugs and wires) my brother was unaware of me working on it, and moved it into the street. When I got back I was like WTF is my car doing in the street, especially with cylinders #1 and 2 unplugged

Well my brother told me he moved my car into the street and it ran real crappy, sputtering and all this crazy ****.....

So now that I am done rambling, check your plug wires
Old 04-05-2004, 09:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

could definetly be a wire off or a forgoten sensor? when the lights flashing it means its hapining right then not just a code set once that limp mode will compensate for , pull the code if the wires are ok and go from there. coulld even be a cracked plug. most misfires the car will compensate for and have a steady light.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

It could be that you were getting mixed signals from your O2's. They may have been reading a lean condition b/c of the open headers. Therefore dumping more fuel causing a rich condition which may be why it was missing and not running right. Maybe just clear the codes put exhaust on and see if the problem is still there.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

cool guys, once the exhaust shop is done I will clear the codes and check the plugs.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When that SES "FLASHES" it means you will do damage to some component in the emissions system if you don't get it fixed. When the SES comes on without flashing it just means you have an emissions problem that should be checked, but is not critical enough to cause damage. Your friends at the EPA put that little SES lite in there for you.