Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBK LT header guys...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 11:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BBK LT header guys...

Does anyone have dimensions for the length of pipe in the y-pipe between the header collectors and the first bend in the y-pipe?

I'm trying to figure out how feasible it would be to install catalytic converters in their ORY if I decide to get these headers and for whatever reason catch **** about it from law/smog later down the road.

Any info is much appreciated.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ill take some measurements tomorrow.. I have those on my T/A and i love the fit. im pretty sure some Magnaflow high flows would fit fairly easy tho
Old 08-16-2012, 11:09 AM
11 Second Club

Ty any issues with the y pipe banging as well?
Old 08-16-2012, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sladester2
Ty any issues with the y pipe banging as well?
I have no issues with the y-pipe banging.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine used to bang with worn out stock rubber motor mounts. I converted to the urethane mounts, when I did a head swap, and that fixed it.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine tucks up nice with no banging.. theres a trick to tightening everything up tho... loosen both ball flanged and the sleeve on the Y. then pry down on the y and shove 2x4's in between the y and the floor pan and then push the y back up till they press agenst the 2x4's. this gives you a good 2" spacing everywere. tighten everything up and pull the boards out.. did that with mine and nothing touches and i have good ground clearance.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

No clearance/fitment issues here. If bbk made these in stainless I think they'd make a killing.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

8.75" from the start of the y-pipe to the first bend on the drivers side. The passengers isn't a issue at all; lots of room to put it where you want. The drivers side leaves you 2 options, do some cutting and welding to fit the converter right after the collector, or mount the converter right before the Y-merger.

to install it right after the collector you'll need to weld the socket flange on the y-pipe as close to the catalytic converter body as possible. So you'll need to cut the inlet on the converter down shorter to get it closer to header to try an avoid clearance issues with the outlet side of the converter with the floor pan brace. Or you can just modify/clearance the brace to avoid any issues..

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 08-17-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
8.75" from the start of the y-pipe to the first bend on the drivers side. The passengers isn't a issue at all; lots of room to put it where you want. The drivers side leaves you 2 options, do some cutting and welding to fit the converter right after the collector, or mount the converter right before the Y-merger.

to install it right after the collector you'll need to weld the socket flange on the y-pipe as close to the catalytic converter body as possible. So you'll need to cut the inlet on the converter down shorter to get it closer to header to try an avoid clearance issues with the outlet side of the converter with the floor pan brace. Or you can just modify/clearance the brace to avoid any issues..
Dude, thank you SO much. The hard numbers for measurement will be invaluable if I have to go this route.

I'm hoping if I install them that I'll never get called out on being an ORY, but I think down here even if I did, just popping some aftermarket ones on (or even the ones off my factory y if possible) should appease all but the most stringent inspectors.