Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FIRE on passanger side!! help

Old 08-19-2012, 07:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FIRE on passanger side!! help

hello fellow ls owners,storys .
early morning i start the car up to go to work,(had headers installed about a week ago by myself and friends,so its open headers).the car starts up with no problem no nothing its great.she starts i usually let her warm up 3 to 5 mins on a cold start.well she was idling for like 2 mins.

I had got off to check something outside the car ,when i hear the idle change.not dramatictly.but it did i rushed to see gagues where i see the all most gagues flashing moving as in the computer got reset,instantly i see some smoke coming out of the passanger side.!!i pop the hood open,theres a little fire going on under the header.cant tell what it is i just rush to put it out.i havent started the car since then nor attempted.

havent had a chance to look at it.ivd done some searching on this site havent really found much info.justb that it ma bee related to starter wires..any input is appriciated.thansk for reading

Last edited by 1_MEANZ28; 08-19-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Down there you have the 02 connector, abs, low oil level sensor, starter, and I believe the wiring harness to the trans for autos is there too.

Good luck man, more info will help you get people that know more than me to chime in.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:43 PM
10 Second Club

Damn thanks for the info looks like im screwd it all those got affected
Old 08-20-2012, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Always replace the entire harness after a fire. Those wires are bunched up together and unless you want to trace each individual wire checking for continuity at each junction.... just replace the entire harness. Several wires and sensors down around the header, easier to check from the bottom or without headers in the way.

PCM should be closely looked over for burn marks (from the exterior fire AND for internal burns that could have started the fire) but don't replace it unless it looks bad. You'll need a shop or laptop to check the functions.

You might be lucky and only need to replace part of the harness or starter cables. You should be able to see burn marks and figure out what happened and what got damaged in the fire. No mention of how big the fire got so can't really help you there.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:18 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
Always replace the entire harness after a fire. Those wires are bunched up together and unless you want to trace each individual wire checking for continuity at each junction.... just replace the entire harness. Several wires and sensors down around the header, easier to check from the bottom or without headers in the way.

PCM should be closely looked over for burn marks (from the exterior fire AND for internal burns that could have started the fire) but don't replace it unless it looks bad. You'll need a shop or laptop to check the functions.

You might be lucky and only need to replace part of the harness or starter cables. You should be able to see burn marks and figure out what happened and what got damaged in the fire. No mention of how big the fire got so can't really help you there.
thanks for the info.
turned out ot be a the cable that goes from battery to starter.its really close to the header.i found it attached to the header.i looked today.nothing else looks damaged.the wire (positive) did get affected but ot all the way ima wrap it with tape and over it header wrap hopefully that will prevent it from happening again.
what do u all think?
Old 08-21-2012, 04:05 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would check the pcm very closely. You just grounded 12 volts on your engine. It's possible that 12 volts made it to circuits that are only designed to handle a 5 volt reference
Old 08-21-2012, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 1_MEANZ28
thanks for the info.
turned out ot be a the cable that goes from battery to starter.its really close to the header.i found it attached to the header.i looked today.nothing else looks damaged.the wire (positive) did get affected but ot all the way ima wrap it with tape and over it header wrap hopefully that will prevent it from happening again.
what do u all think?
Check or have someone check your PCM. That's one helluva short!

And replace the starter cable, unless you like having electrical problems...

Search this Thread