Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best exhaust for 1998 SLP SS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 11:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best exhaust for 1998 SLP SS?

so i just bought a 1998 camaro ss about two months ago, and i want to get a new exhaust for it. the guy i bought it from told me it has a borla catback with longtubes (brand unknown). i have the center mount exhaust, i guess my question is, having the center exhaust and longtubes, what would be the best sounding exhaust i could get and where can i find it?
Old 08-22-2012, 11:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 08-23-2012, 01:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If all you're wanting to do is replace the catback the GMMG can't be beat IMO. Now having said that, the sound of a car is all the personal opinion of the person who is listening to it. I have Kooks LT, Kooks ORY, and the GMMG and it sounds amazing to me. I get compliments all the time, heck once I had a guy follow me all the way to my house just to ask me what I was running becuase he had never heard or seen anything like it before, lol. Do some searching on here for sound clips and also check out ls1sounds.com. That should give you a good idea of what you may be interested in. Good luck with what ever you decide.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

best sounding exhaust will vary from person to person since it's pretty much up to opinion, and it's all depends on what you want out of your car really......i've had several different setups and honestly my favorite by far was Pacestter headers into true duals from TSP with Sweet Thunder mufflers.....i researched this purchase for a couple of months before i pulled the trigger on it, i got more compliments from this setup than any other i've ever had.......Borla sounds good, but nothing is going to compare to true duals IMO for that badass growl and aggressive tone.....Magnaflow is nice and very mellow, but opens up well when you get on the throttle......SLP Dual/Dual catback is what my car had on it when i bought it and it was as quiet as a Cadillac (pretty much)......as far as other catbacks go, GMMG is the top dog for the most part, but it can be raspy with headers and no cats......a small resonator or cheap Thrush muffler from Autozone inserted into the i-pipe settles it down perfectly.......basically any setup with chambered style mufflers (GMMG, Sweet Thunder, Classic Chambered Powersticks, Cobra Packs) is going to sound killer, especially when you cam it.......some people talk good about Spintech mufflers too, but i've never heard them in person......i did hear a car with Dynomax bullets, right next to mine when i had the Sweet Thunders, and I though the Dynomax sounded like pure ****.

Last edited by jc98ss; 08-23-2012 at 02:21 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gmmg...+3
Old 08-23-2012, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

Custom true dual setup routed into your CME would actually be the best (always wanted to see one done, sure they are out there, just never seen it myself). However, it would be the most difficult to obtain.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 94Z28-MSTGKLR
If all you're wanting to do is replace the catback the GMMG can't be beat IMO. Now having said that, the sound of a car is all the personal opinion of the person who is listening to it. I have Kooks LT, Kooks ORY, and the GMMG and it sounds amazing to me. I get compliments all the time, heck once I had a guy follow me all the way to my house just to ask me what I was running becuase he had never heard or seen anything like it before, lol. Do some searching on here for sound clips and also check out ls1sounds.com. That should give you a good idea of what you may be interested in. Good luck with what ever you decide.
^^^ Great reply -- I totally agree with him. There's a whole cornucopia of exhaust sound videos available on the web; take good advantage of them! Good luck with whatever you decide to get!
Old 08-23-2012, 05:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Custom true dual setup routed into your CME would actually be the best (always wanted to see one done, sure they are out there, just never seen it myself). However, it would be the most difficult to obtain.
Yeah but true duals, while they flow a little better won't flow that much better to compensate for the extra weight of that setup. GMMG is kind of a happy "in-between" between true duals and a traditional y-pipe setup. Sounds amazing, flows great (2 mufflers), and weighs only slightly more than a traditional catback would (because of the extra muffler, but not extra I-pipe)

Just my .o2
Old 08-23-2012, 06:21 PM
12 Second Club

Leave the borla
Old 08-23-2012, 06:49 PM
11 Second Club

True duals- sweet thunder. But ur borla is fine
Old 08-24-2012, 01:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Yeah but true duals, while they flow a little better won't flow that much better to compensate for the extra weight of that setup. GMMG is kind of a happy "in-between" between true duals and a traditional y-pipe setup. Sounds amazing, flows great (2 mufflers), and weighs only slightly more than a traditional catback would (because of the extra muffler, but not extra I-pipe)

Just my .o2
Logical arguement, and the best of the easy solutions. However, best has but one meaning and is absolute.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Light and free flowing?

I'll take the loudmouth

Quick Reply: best exhaust for 1998 SLP SS?