Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tapping noise after intake install

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 09:01 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tapping noise after intake install

Guys i have a tapping noise. Sounds like its towards the rear of the motor on the drivers side. I just recently installed a fast 102 intake and ls6 valley cover. When removing the stock intake i broke the opsu. After installing everything i heard a noise shortly after starting the engine, it increased with rpm. Pulled the intake...Found this:

I assume that is part of the inside of the opsu. i taped all the intake ports right after i pulled the intake so all i could guess is when the opsu broke all that **** fell in as i was pulling the intake.

I removed it. Put everything back together. Noise still there. Pulled the plugs on the drivers side. felt around with a magnet and didn't get anything. Pulled the valve covers, nothing looked suspect.

I Used a shop vac and turned the motor over a few times and it appears initially that the cylinders are still sealing. I could hear the vacuum go from intake to exhaust as i rotated the engine, and also i could tell when the valves were closed.

The tapping noise is still there but it does quiet up some when the engine warms up.
Any ideas whats going on?

Edit: damn i thought i was in the internal section

Last edited by spy2520; 08-24-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:20 AM
12 Second Club

I'll add that other than the noise. The engine appears to be running normal.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:16 PM
12 Second Club

Craziest thing just happened. I drove the car about 15 miles to log some data and get help diagnosing the noise. By the time I got there the noise had stopped. Drove another 10 miles and the noise randomly started up again as I was about to pull in a parking lot. Scratched my head for a little bit. Started the car back up and drove home. Within 5 minutes of driving the car it stopped again. I don't know what the hell is going on.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

stupid question. you say the noise starts and stops. You sure one of your plug wires isn't loose? i know you found that piece inside your head but said once you took care of that the noise was still there. just something to think about
Old 08-24-2012, 03:39 PM
12 Second Club

i'll check them all but the 4 on the drivers side were removed and put back on without a change in the noise. Also i'm getting no misfires. Engine runs smooth.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:33 PM
12 Second Club

noise is gone. dont know what it what. did some work on the AC vacuum line because i was only getting defrost and lower vents working. haven't heard the noise since fixing that. never thought a vacuum leak could make a noise like that but i guess its possible.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:20 AM
10 Second Club

Glad to hear it got resolved

Quick Reply: tapping noise after intake install