Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have true duals on a lowered car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does anyone have true duals on a lowered car?

Like the title says, I want to do a true dual setup on my 2000 SS, however it is lowered 1.6" in the front and 1.4" in the rear. I'd like to go 2.5" because I don't intend on making 800+whp, and it'd be better with the car being lowered. I know its gonna be close, but I just don't want it to the point where its darn near dragging.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What true duals you looking at?
Old 08-26-2012, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by backdraft408
What true duals you looking at?
I want them dumped because I like the way the Camaros rear ends look with dumped exhaust. TSP only sells 3" so that's out. So I'd probably order a summit/jegs 2.5" universal and take it to my local exhaust shop here in town for fitment. I know he does alot of custom stuff.

Also what would you guys think is the best muffler? I've only heard good things about sweet thunders
Old 08-26-2012, 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

Imo any type of bullet style muffler like the sweet thunder or moroso spiral flows all they way up to the bolra bullet style will sound good dumped. I got my tsp headers an true duals install over the weekend an it freaking rocks. I changed from a custom built true dual set up with no x or h pipe an can tell all the difference in the world down low an way better throttle response all over. You will love it when its done and good luck.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here are some shots of mine. I have 3" TD's and I'm lowered.
Attached Thumbnails Does anyone have true duals on a lowered car?-dscn1471.jpg   Does anyone have true duals on a lowered car?-dscn1475.jpg   Does anyone have true duals on a lowered car?-dscn1481.jpg  
Old 08-26-2012, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by csess
Imo any type of bullet style muffler like the sweet thunder or moroso spiral flows all they way up to the bolra bullet style will sound good dumped. I got my tsp headers an true duals install over the weekend an it freaking rocks. I changed from a custom built true dual set up with no x or h pipe an can tell all the difference in the world down low an way better throttle response all over. You will love it when its done and good luck.
Thanks I really hope I can get them installed with the 1.5" drop though. I love the way the car looks now and don't want to change it.

So does anyone have dumped duals on an fbody with 1.5" drop?
Old 08-26-2012, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KevinR
Here are some shots of mine. I have 3" TD's and I'm lowered.
How much are you dropped? And are those TSP's true duals?
Old 08-26-2012, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by l 95 Trans Am l
How much are you dropped? And are those TSP's true duals?
1.5". No, they were built for me. And (to answer your last question) as you can see, they're dumped at the back axle. So you shouldn't have any problems. Just take it easy over bumps.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Im lowered on koni 4/4 strano with 3 inch true duals dumped. I bottom out all the time especially if you have anything in the back. If you take it easy on bumps youll be fine.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay and next question. My future plans for the car as of now are a good set of heads and a cam (probably something like a 228R). But as of right now its going to remain stock internally, if I just went ahead and got the TSP 3", would the engine be breathing too much? I read a few places that 3" TD's will hurt the performance if you're running a stock LS1. As of right now, the car is bone stock besides an SLP catback
Old 09-24-2012, 04:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Okay and next question. My future plans for the car as of now are a good set of heads and a cam (probably something like a 228R). But as of right now its going to remain stock internally, if I just went ahead and got the TSP 3", would the engine be breathing too much? I read a few places that 3" TD's will hurt the performance if you're running a stock LS1. As of right now, the car is bone stock besides an SLP catback
Breathe too much

I've run 3" duals on my bolt on only car got over a year with no issues and ran a 12.4 @ 108 at the track on street tires. I LOVE my duals, and if you're going to cam it anytime at all you owe it to your car to run duals...just way better than a y setup in pretty much every way.

Going from stock to pacesetter 1 3/4 long tubes and the tsp 3" duals was a huge leap...just be ready for the exhaust to reverb into the cab until you get the pipes ran out from under the car.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

3" true duals are fine on a stock-internal LS1. I've got TSP 3" duals on my car, stock internals, and I put down 360rwhp/rwtq. The car is also lowered about 1.5" front/2" rear and aside from watching out on speed bumps (that is, avoiding them completely) I haven't had any problems dragging on anything, and the exhaust isn't even as tucked as I'd like it to be.

I can say I much prefer Powerstick mufflers on the duals over the mufflers TSP packages with the setup, although they still don't sound quite as good as my old set of 3" Lane's duals with bullets.

Quick Reply: Does anyone have true duals on a lowered car?