Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on a new longblock

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 07:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinions on a new longblock

Hello all,

I am beginning to think about saving up for a new longblock for my car. I am in the later part of doing a cam swap for my LS1 and it ended up costing me 3 times what I projected because every time I removed something or checked a system, there were tons of things that needed replacing or that were broken. If I would have known this going into it I would already have 25% of the longblock cost saved.

I have decided that I don't really want to sink anymore money into my LS1 since it is an iffy engine to start with as I am seeing all kinds of sign that a shade tree mechanic had his way with it over it's 10 year life before I got it. I've had it less than a year and have found more wrong than is right.

I know there are very distinct groups who all have opinions on what should be done and why. And that is why I am putting this question out to you all. I know the main the groups will be to stroke the LS1, Get an LS2 or Let an LS3. What I want to figure out is which would be better for me and get started on the planning. It will probably take me a year or 2 to save up for the longblock.

My main goal for this car is to make it streetable. It will rarely see the track, maybe once or twice a year. It will be a daily driver but I don't mind it misbehaving some. I want it to have a choppy lope on idle and make most of it's power on the low to mid band and pull hard in the lower band in order to school all the kids who think they have a fast car because they bought a 5.0 or an import out on the streets.

I am probably looking for 500 at the wheels as a standard, more would be welcome but I don't want to go overboard with it.

I currently have an A4 car. It has been enjoyable to drive but I am used to driving a stick. Should I leave it auto or make the conversion to M6 for the feeling factor of it. That would also determine my gear ratio for when I order my S60 rear

I have the full HPTuners Pro Suite and a wideband planning to do all the tuning myself.

All opinions are welcome. Thanks for reading it all.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This should be in the Internals section. Probably get a better response there.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NVR_SPDS
This should be in the Internals section. Probably get a better response there.
I had thought about that. But it being a crate question I stuck it here. I'll repost over there and see if I get any hits. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

price out all the TSP long blocks with the options you want.maybe look at a 402 using a ls2 block, and top it off with some ls3 heads and a fast intake.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by garygnu
price out all the TSP long blocks with the options you want.maybe look at a 402 using a ls2 block, and top it off with some ls3 heads and a fast intake.
The TSP longblock for LS2 and LS3 are nearly identidcal. Which is why I want opionons
Old 08-29-2012, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I think a big cube LS2 shortblock would be best for you and not to hard on the wallet and reliable. You could use your stock LS1 top end stuff and upgrade when you have funds. TSP sells everything harness wise to make it work.

Quick Reply: Opinions on a new longblock